Monday, December 07, 2009

Weekend In Flint, Michigan

I sit in our motel room tonight in Flint, MI with mixed emotions. We are flying out in the morning heading back home, and I look forward to being home, but we've had such a nice time with Bro. and Sis. Henson, their family and church family that it makes it hard to leave.

The weekend activities have been so enjoyable! We went to a Sectional Christmas Banquet on Friday night. It was nice meeting Bro. and Sis. Carpenter - Michigan District Superintendent and many of the Pastor's in this area. On Saturday night was South Flint Tabernacle's Christmas Banquet.
It was decorated so beautifully, the food was delicious, and the people were so nice to us. We also met Bro. and Sis. Jacob Tapia from Missouri. Bro. Tapia does impersonations of some of the UPCI well-known speakers and singers and he does a phenomenal job! "Elvis" visited and sang for us, so when he was finished I had my picture taken with him. How could I resist! After all, everyone doesn't get this opportunity! :) One of the highlights to us was having the opportunity to meet the Henson's family. We had never had privilege of knowing their two girls, Melissa and Jerusha and we enjoyed "getting to know them" a little this weekend. Melissa is married to Jonathan Hudson, whom we have known since he was a little boy. It was so fun getting to see him, again. Jerusha is married to Jason McGhee and he is a fine young man. They are all busy in the work of God as they work beside Pastor and Sis. Henson.Sunday services were outstanding! The congregation of South Flint Tabernacle are wonderful. You could feel the unity of purpose and spirit as we began to worship and praise God. I captured this as my husband was getting ready to deliver the message. Sunday morning one person was filled with the Holy Ghost. I loved watching the saints of God pray in the altar with those who were hungry for God in their lives. Being in the presence of people who are committed to the cause for revival was wonderful. The choir sang Sunday night and there was a mighty move of God! The "glory of God" filled the sanctuary once again. Our spirits were lifted into the heavenlies as we worshipped Jesus...our Savior, our Redeemer.

I was walking down the hall of the church when I spotted this.Somone saw me taking a picture of the snow shovel, and said, "Only people who are not from here would take a picture of that." I just smiled and said, "We don't have to use these in Texas!" There was one at each entrance of the church. We wished so much that it would snow while we were here, but it looks like it's going to wait until we are back in Texas. :(

My friend, Shirley Henson.. What an incredible lady she is! She has touched me in many ways over the last year and a half. There have been times I needed to hear from a friend and I would go to the mailbox and find a card from Shirley Henson. There is no way she could have known what I needed. Shirley is always the SAME! I'm honored to call her "friend".

Today, the Henson's took us to Frankenmuth, Michigan. It's a beautiful and quaint town not far from Flint. We met the Carpenter's for a fried chicken dinner at Zehnder's. It is known all over the world and people come from everywhere to eat. The meal was delicious and the fellowship so enjoyable! After our meal we went to the largest Christmas Store I've ever been in. It was awesome!

I also went to the Silent Night Chapel with Shirley.
There are signs along the pathway going up to the chapel that has the song Silent Night written in many different languages. It was interesting to me and helped me realize that a song I have sung all my life is enjoyed by millions all over the world.

We drove across this beautiful covered bridge. It has no nails holding it together, only wooden pegs.There is no way to say how much we enjoyed being here. I had a friend tell me that we would be treated with the greatest of care and she was so right. "Thank you, Bro. and Sis. Henson for a wonderful time! Your have blessed us in so many ways. We love you and appreciate all you have done and for being our friends!"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I Love Michigan! Been to all those places!Have seen the Snow! Love you
Deb from Beaumont!
P.S. Thank you!

Linda Elms said...

Deb from Beaumont, we would love to spend more time in Michigan someday. That is one state we haven't toured. It was fun getting to visit a place we had never been, and the Henson's were wonderful hosts. It's good hearing from you! Love you!