Wednesday, January 05, 2011

What Does THAT Mean?

We have all been around someone that seems to ALWAYS be "out of breath" from having SO MUCH to do! When you speak to them and ask how they are doing, you get an AVALANCHE of words telling you how BUSY they are, and how they just don't know HOW this happened. I can hear them now..."I plan and plan what I'm suppose to do, but INVARIABLY something comes up and OBLITERATES my plans! I don't know what I'm going to do! I've got to have this done and there is NO WAY POSSIBLE that I'll be finished by the time it's suppose to be finished!" (panic-panic) Off they go TRYING to get all their work done. After all, they are the ONLY one that knows how to do ALL of that work, and NO ONE really cares to LEARN, so "Poor-martyr-me" runs off to accomplish the WORK ahead.

I have to laugh at these people. I'm sorry if you're one of those, but people like this make me laugh. Do they REALLY believe they are the ONLY ONE that can do that JOB?

I loved watching my Mother when someone like this came around. She was always such a patient, loving, sweet LADY. Nothing seemed to "ruffle her feathers" and when they did she hid her feelings very well. But, for those very close friends and family members who knew her really well, we could read her. For instance...she had a way of "pursing her lips" that let you know she was perturbed about something. She also had a "twinkle in her eye" that only those who knew her well understood what it was about. When she was "put out" with someone she knew how to "ignore" without them knowing she was a "put out" with them. Now, you must understand, that her family knew what was happening, and for SURE Daddy knew. She didn't have to say anything to him and HE knew he "shouldn't have done that", or "shouldn't have said that". :) I loved watching Mother in "situations". She was much a queen!

When Mother happened to be around "Poor-martyr-me" she had a phrase she used. After one of these people walked away from her she would say: "They're always in a TIZZY!" She would shake her head just a little, and go about her own business in her own patient way. It was very seldom you would see HER in a TIZZY! There were times when I would get impatient about something and she would say..."Linda, sit down and don't get in such a TIZZY!" Some people use the word "dither", but they mean the same thing. I have never thought to look the word TIZZY up in the Dictionary until today, so I decided to after all these years. I found out that it really means exactly what she meant..."a nervous, excited, or distracted state". I didn't know if TIZZY was a REAL word, or if it was a word someone made up. It's definitely in the Dictionary, so someone, somewhere, sometime decided it was a good word to use for that "nervous, excitable, distracted" person.

For those who seem to "live in a TIZZY" why don't you try to RELAX a little, get some help to accomplish the job you're trying to get done, and learn to ENJOY LIFE? There are a lot of things in life that really aren't THAT urgent! It's usually "urgent" that steals away from "important" and when life is finished you find you've left the "important thing" undone. Live life with purpose and direction. Don't run around like "a chicken with its head cut off". (another one of Mother's sayings) Do your work, perform your duties well, and see if you can actually go through a day without being in a TIZZY. People would enjoy being around you more if you were more RELAXED!

I'm learning to live life more relaxed and not worry over what others think of what I've DONE or haven't DONE. Over the last 10 years I have learned a little more about what's important and what's not. I understand that "life is but a vapor...here today, gone tomorrow", and it's only the time spent building my relationship with God and what I can do for Him, my family, and my friends that really is the MOST IMPORTANT THING IN LIFE. For it's through these relationships that you find purpose, true love and fulfillment. So, with 360 days left in this year, I want to do my best to ENJOY what I'm doing, when I'm doing it, then sit back and ENJOY less stress and for sure not get in a TIZZY!

3 comments:

Virginia C said...

My husbands always says, "plan your work, relax and work your plan."

Anonymous said...

I like to say, "do your best & flush the rest"! :-)

I agree, your mom was a very cool, calm, & collected LADY!

Laquita Mullings

Linda Elms said...

Good advice from both of you ladies! Thank you!