Tuesday, January 04, 2011

Life Moves On

It's already the 3rd day...well, since it's after midnight I should say we just entered the 4th day of 2011. It's unreal how fast time FLIES! The thing about that is...we better get our wings on and fly with it, because it's going to be Christmas before you know it! Oh, how well I remember hearing my Mother say things like that. WHEN did I turn into my Mother? I don't know when it happened, but I did.

Recently, I was "musing" about different things, and talking to my husband about them. We laughed about some of the things we were discussing, and then took some of them seriously. We weren't so serious that we became stressed, but we discussed how sometimes a person can see things differently than others. So, today I had a phone call from one of my sisters, and was telling her some of the things I was saying to my husband. I was so happy to find out SHE thinks the same way. Whew! I was so glad to find out I wasn't alone in my thoughts. :-) I said to her, "Sometimes I wonder about myself. WHERE did I get that from?" I knew if anyone would be honest with me my sister would be. She said what I've always known..."Well, we were raised by Murray Layne you know." We had to laugh, because we both knew she was right. We agreed that "being raised by Murray Layne" was a good thing! Our parents were quite a pair and raised us to have "common sense". Oh my word! Did I just hear that? What? "Keith...is that you?" I DID hear you say it..."Well...now...that's debatable. There's a lot of things you have, but "common sense" isn't one of them!" That's a brother for you! LOL! I can hear him saying those words, and hear the chuckle as if it were yesterday! I love how memories flood my mind at different times. That's one great thing about growing up in a fun loving family. When your loved ones are no longer with you, you have wonderful "memories" to enjoy!

I am typing with a smile on my face. In fact, I'm about to laugh because there are so many crazy things running through my mind. While growing up, we had so much fun in our house! There was a time when Keith, Ronda, and I would race to the phone to see who could answer it first. Daddy had told us to stop, but we continued. (Thankfully, he wasn't home that day) So, one day the phone rang and we went tearing through the kitchen. One of us fell, and one of us answered the phone, but it wasn't the correct "hello" like we had been taught. Instead of "hello" she yelled....M-O-T-H-E-R!!!!!!! On the other end of the phone our Grandma said, "Well, that's just who I wanted to talk to." LOL! Boy, were we glad it was GRANDMA calling!

When I was about 12 years old I loved reading Nancy Drew books. I could really "get into" the story, so much so that I lived a little "on edge". Keith knew how "jumpy" I was, so one night I left my room to go to the kitchen for something. Just as I was walking by the table I felt a hand come out and grab my ankle! I'm sure the neighbors heard me scream! Oh my word! He nearly scared me to death! Shortly after that I decided I was going to share part of the book I was reading with my parents. When I finished reading Daddy said, "Linda, I don't want you reading anymore of those books." I almost couldn't believe what I was hearing. I asked "why". He said, "You are so afraid of everything anymore, and there's no sense in you being so jumpy all the time." I started to protest, and he said, "You heard what I said!" Yes, I heard him, but I was so disappointed. After all, who wouldn't be "jumpy" if their brother was hiding under the table and grabbing their leg when they walked by! As I recall I never read anymore Nancy Drew books! Wouldn't it be nice if it was just "Nancy Drew books" that we had to worry about with our kids today?

This post is getting way too long. I started out by saying, "time is flying by". But it's never going so fast that you can't stop and "reminisce" about the fun times you've had in life. In fact, if you never stop long enough to remember...what's the use of "making memories"? So, my advice to anyone who might have stopped by to read my few scattered thoughts is this:

Live TODAY so that TOMORROW you'll be able to look back and "remember" what fun you had YESTERDAY!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sis. Elms:
I enjoy your blog. I read it every morning before I go to work. Last night, my husband, my son, and myself were just talking about some funny things that happened in our family many years ago. It is good to remember.
You have such a way with words. I am still waiting for your book to come out.
Please keep blogging. There are so many people that you inspire by the written word.
Lord Bless you!
Kathy McDaniel
Texarkana, TX

Anonymous said...

I, like Sis. Kathy from Texarkana, sign on every morning hoping that you have taken a few minutes the night before to pen a few words of inspiration. Your love for holiness and Godly living is truly a beacon of light in this world where it seems that so many are choosing to turn away from the light of TRUTH they have been taught.

Michelle said...

I loved Nancy Drew books around that age as well:)

Karla said...

You typed with a smile on your face - I read with a smile on mine. And - actually LOL about Keith grabbing your leg. I love that story!

Linda Elms said...

Kathy, thank you. I appreciate your kind words. They encourage me to "keep writing". Sometimes I wonder if anyone is reading, but evidently they are. I'm working at blogging more this year. We've been really busy and it's hard sometimes to sit down and write, but I do enjoy when I do. Hope you're doing well.

Linda Elms said...

Dear Anon...thank you.

Linda Elms said...

Michelle...I think a lot of young girls enjoyed Nancy Drew. I don't know if she is as popular now. Probably not. There's other stories out there, but I'm sure not as "good" as N.D. LOL!

Linda Elms said...

Karla...I can see you laughing about that story "again". Some stories just never get OLD! LOL! Love you!

Keith and Carla said...

Our girls LOVED Nancy Drew books (and so did I)!

P.S. I love the way you write - it leaves such a mental picture! :)