Wednesday, October 01, 2008

McLeod Weekend, Monday, and Tuesday With Friends

I have lived in TEXAS for a LONG TIME and never knew this is how you spelled the name of this town.  I always thought it was spelled "McCloud", because this is the way "McLeod" sounds.  So, for those who have been "in the dark" as I was, you have learned "something new" today.  The english language never ceases to amaze me!  :) 

We were in this beautiful area of TEXAS this past weekend, and enjoyed every second of our time spent there.  I did not know what to expect, except I had heard the church was in the country.  After driving down through the "woods" we came upon the church.  We were so impressed with how beautiful the church was, and the grounds were so very beautifully cared for.  We were met with smiles, and hand shakes, and "glad you are here" from wonderful people of God.  When we entered the sanctuary the presence of God met us and we once again felt "right at home"!  Pastor and Sis. Jeff Story have pastored in this field for quite some time, and have done a wonderful job in shepherding the flock in McLeod.Saturday evening the Story's took us to Pier 27 restaurant where we were served delicious catfish and hushpuppies!I found out while we were there that Nathan and Ronda LOVED eating there when they lived in Texarkana, so I picked up my phone and gave her a "sweet little call"!  It felt so good to be able to tell her where I was!  LOL!  Ronda is always calling me and telling me she is on her way to some place beautiful, like....Monterey, Carmel, or San Francisco, or just riding around in her convertible with the top down "enjoying the California coastal weather"!  I know I wasn't in THAT beautiful of a place, but I was in a place she LOVED eating at.  LOL!  It really was good and we left there very full and satisfied.  

After arriving home Monday, we were at the office for a little while.  Just as we were leaving, Mark and Diane Green drove up.  We told them we were on our way to eat, so we invited them to go.  We had a wonderful time sitting and talking, eating, and sitting and talking, for over 2 hours.  It's great having friends!Tuesday was a very busy day.  I had an appointment to go to, and some things to take care of, and Wendell had a funeral he needed to attend.  When we finally saw each other later in the day he said, "We have a dinner appointment".  I was surprised, yet happy.  I'd had a stressful day (for whatever reason) so, I was ready to do something fun!  

Bro. and Sis. Ron Smith had invited us over for a "home cooked meal"!We really looked forward to getting to visit with them, and getting to enjoy the "food".  :) When we got there we learned that some more very dear, precious friends would be there.  Bro. and Sis. Neeley knocked on the door a few minutes later and we were so happy they were joining us.After eating a scumptious meal of pork loin and rice, corn, lima beans, salad, cantaloupe, hot rolls, and peanut butter pie, we were as full as we could be!  It was all so delicious!!!! We had a lot of fun listening to Bro. Smith's "dog stories", too.  :)

Special Note:  Kent and Traci...I wish ya'll could have been with us last night!  I thought about you often.  My camera batteries were dead, so I took some "blurry photos" with my iPhone, just for you! 

6 comments:

iluv2prshim said...

That is absolutely not fair...You posting a picture of that wonderful catfish platter. Ooooo...I can taste it now. Is that the most awesome fried catfish in the world or what? I love Pier 27!!!
Glad you enjoyed it and that you got to spend time with more friends. :)

Tracie Smith said...

ROFL... Before I clicked to leave my comment I knew I was going to say "NOT FAIR"...Then Ronda beat me to it.

Well, Texas catfish is one thing I've never learned to like BUTTTTT being with MaMaw & Papaw, Bro & Sis. Neely, and Mark & Diane I LOVE!!!! You know we are only 1.5 hrs away so you could have called us. :)

BTW Mrs. Diane looks wonderful!!!!

I didn't realize it's spelled
'McLeod' either. Did you realize McLeod is the home tome of Jackie Prince? Great people often come from small places.

Ron and Jerry Ann Guidroz said...

I've always thought McLeod was next to heaven. My grandparents, Dennis and Lizzie Lewis were some of the founding members of that church. I remember going to VBS there as a child when they had a block building. I have pictures. That's where I learned the books of the bible.
We spent our summers there with my grandparents since my mother was a widow and worked. I still have the old trunk my granddaddy bought me and my little sister(she died when she was 13 with lukemia) and Mawmaw filled it up with homeade and clothes from the catalogue every summer. We went home with shoes, underwear, and clothes for the school year. It was so much fun to catalogue shop.
Sorry Linda...you stirred up lots of good memories. Her home place is still there. Jacqueline Prince's folks bought it and remodeled it to a beautiful place.
After my dad was killed, his folks helped my mom so much through the years and always showed us so much love. She was the only grandparent on my side that the children knew. The Lord allowed her to live until the girl's were teenagers and she was so proud when we name Eldredge after her baby, my dad.
There are many wonderful saints buried in that cemetery there. You can go back in my archives last fall and see some pictures of the house and the cemetery that I took when we were preaching in Texarkana for the Calhouns.
Also...Ron grew up with Ron Smith so you have memory lane crowed for me today.
Love you....

Ron and Jerry Ann Guidroz said...

oops...crowded...lol

Jana Allard said...

Sounds like your having fun while staying busy. :)

Pastor R Kent Smith said...

It looks like we need to appoint you Social Services Director......