Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Some Thoughts and Hudson, TX

As I have already said in my last post, our life has been very busy, but let me say...we are loving it! Janet, from home, just left a comment saying, "It looks like ya'll are having the time of your life." I will affirm her observation. Let me explain, though. I have made it a point to "live in the NOW". I have enjoyed each stage of life and I continue to do so. My mother was the MOST CONTENTED lady I've ever known, and I have always wanted to be "just like her". I don't believe I have attained her level, and probably never will, but she sure gives me a goal to reach for.

When you're in the "will of God", following His leading, how can you be unhappy? I know there are places I have said I would NEVER want to live, and Lufkin was one of those places. But, I can honestly say that I am really enjoying living here! I am enjoying my husband "going to the office" and returning home around 5:00 each day. When he's through at the office, he locks the door and we have the evening free unless he is preaching someplace. I LOVED being a Pastor's wife to the wonderful people God placed in our lives, but now I am enjoying where God has placed my husband. Why make yourself miserable? I'm just happy being married to the man I'm married to, and wherever God leads him...I will follow. Don't get me wrong! I've had to "die to self" many times in my life. I have cried many tears when leaving those I loved so much. It wasn't fun telling our wonderful saints that we were leaving, because God had chosen it to be so. But, the life I have been given has been wonderful. Why am I saying all of this tonight? :) I really don't know. I just felt like saying it, I guess.

Now, to our weekend service in Hudson, Texas. Hudson is a town that is connected to Lufkin. In fact, you wouldn't know you were leaving Lufkin if you didn't see a sign telling you that you've just entered the City Limits of Hudson. Bro. and Sis. Ron Smith retired a few years ago and really did not plan on pastoring again. They moved to Hudson (Lufkin), bought a little house, fixed it up and moved in. They sold a lot of things when they left their home and church in Huntsville, TX. I don't know all the things that happened that directed them back into pastoring, but they are doing a wonderful work in Hudson.
Sunday morning we decided to visit their church since we were not ministering anyplace else.
We are so glad we went! They were so sweet and welcoming to us and we thoroughly enjoyed being in the Sunday School and Morning Worship with them. Jeff Jones taught the lesson and did a fine job! We were asked to sing, so we did. They seemed to enjoy it. Then, Bro. Smith preached a wonderful, heartfelt message! He made me want to live for God even more. Thank God for preacher's who preach "the message" with love.

After church the Smith's invited us to eat lunch with them. They took us to Ralph and Kacoo's, then took us around town to show us places to live whenever our house sells in Wichita Falls. They drove us by Bro. and Sis. Neely's house and we really enjoyed seeing where they have lived for a long time. We had a wonderful time visiting with them! We even had to stop and get a "DIET COKE" (Bro. Kenny) LOL!

It's amazing how many preachers and their wives we have "known", yet have not "known" through the years!! LOL! That's a little catchy, isn't it? We have talked about how we almost feel like we are in a "brand new district" since moving to Lufkin. We are learning of towns "we have never heard of", and meeting people we have heard of, yet "had never met". Wow! It's quite a change being in the "middle of things" since we've been so far away for about 28 years. Living in Wichita Falls, we were closer to two or three other District Campgrounds, than we were to our own Texas District Campground. Now, we're living ON the Campground! It's exciting and fun...even in our motorhome. Of course, that is another story. Wendell is the one wanting a house! :) Oh well, someday it will happen.

Paul wrote in Phil. 4:11 Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content.

I'm sure I will enjoy a house when I get another one, but until then, we will be content living on the ole' camp ground, enjoying where we have been placed in His Kingdom. What better life can you ask for?

19 comments:

Michelle said...

I'm so glad everything is working out for y'all. When the house sells, it will be icing on the cake. I've often thought about the fact that Wichita Falls is closer to Amarillo than to Lufkin, but who wants to go to camp meeting without air conditioning! I hope they have it now, but they didn't 8 years ago when I went to church in Texico.

preacherman23 said...

Sis. Elms I'm glad that things are going well and that you are content. I know I caught myself saying that I'll never live in lufkin but sometimes God has a sense of humor. You're right about Hudson, its a little small town and that you'll miss it if you are not watching, but I love the church there and Bro. and Sis. Smith are very wonderful people and are doing a great work there. Its a church we have held a crusade at when I was coordinating crusades and preached there as well and that's a church I personally love being at with such wonderful people.

Kyle

Christina said...

Thank you for making a post and feeling us in on your thoughts and the weekend you had. I have been missing your postings! I'm glad things are going great for you guys. We love you!

Keith and Carla said...

I, too, never wanted to live where we are now and there are some things I said I would never do. Well, God has a way of changing things and your desires, as well! I LOVE where we are now and love what we're doing. Even the trees kind of grow on you, and I never thought I would say that!!! LOL!

janet anglin said...

I couldn't agree with you more!! Being content and in the will of God means so much. I think it even improves your health, too. I'm really happy for y'all, even though we miss you.

Karla said...

You are definitely right about Mother!! She had the ability to be content - even in Louisiana! LOL!! (that was for Sis. Tammy)

I'm glad y'all are enjoying Lufkin - "who'd a-thunk it?"

Anonymous said...

I love reading your blog! It is such an inspiration to me, and keeps me in touch with those I may only see once a year. Thank you for writing. Love you!!!!

iluv2prshim said...

Linda, I'm so glad you are enjoying life. Mother would be proud. :) The Smith's look great. They are good people. When you get a house I'm coming back for a visit. :)

Faith Motivates Miracles! said...

Love your echoes Sis Elms. Its like reading a good book. May God bless you. Sis Noel from Hollister

Anonymous said...

Every preacher's wife needs to know about your blog!!! So inspirational!

I love you!

Tammy Bryant said...

Sis. Elms, I am sure you are so much more like your wonderful mother than you know!! I am glad that you are "content". We you are happy, it makes me happy.
Now, as far as that comment about Louisiana from your "baby" sister - Just a reminder all that good food and cajun cooking was a good helper in being "content" in LA.
Have a great week. We leave on Monday for vacation & cruise. I might even take pictures and post on my blog when we return. LOL!!
Remember, miracles do happen.

Oh yea, who would have ever thought I would be in Wichita Falls TX and be loving it the way I do. God definitely has a sense of humor!!!!

Roxana said...

I just love your updates and thoughts, Sis Elms! And it is really funny when you realize how many people we "know" but have never actually met!

Anonymous said...

Sis. Elms,

I have finally created a blog! It is McLaughlinmelodies@blogspot.com.
All of you "Bloggers" finally convinced me! HA. Love you

Anonymous said...

Linda,
Thanks for your words of inspiration. You are a lot like your mother...ask me. I still miss her so much. Today we went to Bro. Talsness funeral in Fresno. Brought back old times. They spoke of the pact the saints in Truth Tabernacle made to meet in front of the throne. As I sat in the service, I remembered the Regnarts, the Garretts, the Tallsness, The Browns, The Wilkinsons.

Remember you as a young girl coming in and sitting on the floor to listen to Lila and me talk.

Aren't you glad for all the lives you have touched?

Bless you and Wendell as you begin this new venture, leaving your handprints on God's people.

I just felt like "rambling" awhile.

Love you,

Aunt Joyce

Linda Elms said...

Michelle, I THINK they might have air conditioning at camp meeting in Amarillo, now. I'm not sure!

Kyle, it's good hearing from you! God definitely has a "sense of humor". I like that about Him. :)

Christina, we love ya'll, too! I'm glad you continue visiting me on my blog.

Carla, I remember things you said you did not want to do, but God had a different plan for you. You have made a beautiful PREACHER'S WIFE!

Janet, miss you, too! Love you!

Karla, I know I would have NEVER "thunk it"! LOL!

Sis. McLaughlin, THANK YOU for reading and commenting. I'm excited about you starting your blog!

Ronda, AS SOON AS I HAVE A HOUSE I will be looking for you to come and see me! That would make me want to buy one faster!!!! Love you!

Sis. Noel, thank you for your nice compliment. I'm glad you enjoy reading my thoughts.

Karen, how sweet! I'm glad you're my friend! Love you!

Tammy, if I'm anything like Mother that would be wonderful! I hope you have a great time on your cruise. I can't wait to hear all about it! Have FUN!

Roxana, thank you! I'm glad you're blogging, and I'm really glad you gave me your RIGHT blog address! LOL!

Aunt Joyce, you brought back a lot of memories when you named all the families I was raised with in Fresno! It's hard to believe Bro. Talsness is no longer with us. He was a wonderful man!!

I, too remember listening to you and mother talk and "giggle". You and her would laugh about so many things and it was so much fun being with you! If I'm anything like Mother it would be the most wonderful thing that could happen to me, and the greatest compliment I could ever receive. I miss her terribly, also.

I'm so glad you "rambled" today. I love hearing from you!

Ron and Jerry Ann Guidroz said...

I think you are more like your mom than you realize. She was such a great lady. I'm glad you are enjoying your new life. You are even getting a taste of "preaching out" and going to different places. Your house to sell and Karla's house to sell is on my prayer list. Love you...

Linda Elms said...

Jerry Ann, thank you for your prayers and your sweet words. You're a wonderful friend!

Tracie Smith said...

Oh, the pic of you and Bro. Elms with MaMaw and Papaw is WONDERFUL. If you get a chance I would love for you to email it to me. I'm sure I could use it one day for a special event for them. I know they enjoyed being with each of you. They are loving their 'second wind'. Love you!

Linda Elms said...

Tracie, thank you! I will send the picture to you. We had such a nice time with them at church, dinner and driving around looking at houses. They are great folks!