Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Groves Weekend

When I walked through the doors I felt His presence.
And I knew this was the place where love abounds.
For this is the temple, Jehovah God abides here.
And we are standing in His presence on holy ground.

I was not walking into the sanctuary of a church, but was sitting at the dinner table with David, Sandra and Jason Myer. This is the only way I can describe what I felt as my husband was "giving thanks" for the delicious meal Sis. Myer had prepared! When you are with the Myer Family you know you are with friends who care about you, and love you for who you are. They have recently lost their son Justin, after a very serious illness that put him into a coma. This family has been with him 24/7 for five years! One of them was by his side at all times. The love and devotion shown by them is beautiful, and they show that kind of love to everyone around them.

We had wonderful services in their lovely new building that they built during the time they were taking care of Justin. The presence of the Lord was in each service.

There is a couple in the church that had connections to the Allison, TX church that my Dad pastored before I was born! Keith and Ann Boydston were both raised in Allison. They told me the story about Daddy going to a house one night to ride to the hospital with a man, because this man's wife was having a baby. When they got to the hospital a little girl was born and they named her "Ann". The "baby", Ann "Gilmer" Boydston was standing here telling me the story! By the time our Dad's left the hospital, a blizzard had blown in, so they followed a snow plow as far as they could on the highway. When they got to the road that went to the house, the snow plow went straight, but they had to turn. Since the snow was already too deep to drive through, there was no way to get to the house except for them to get out of the car, and walk a mile in the snow! The wind was howling, the snow blowing, and they nearly froze to death! Daddy asked for "warm water" to put his frozen feet in, and even though Bro. Gilmer tried to convince him that "wasn't the thing to do", Daddy just KNEW he had to have "warm water...not cold"! He learned a lesson that night, for sure! I'm sure he decided he had better listen to those who knew "how to thaw out"! His feet was in terrible pain for quite some time! :) Poor Daddy! LOL! She also told me that Daddy taught her Dad, Bro. Gilmer, how to make "cream gravy"!!! She said, "Daddy would never make it any other way from that day on. He made it the way "his pastor", taught him for the rest of his life." It was great talking to her and her husband, Keith. It's a SMALL WORLD!!!! Another thing I loved about Ann is the way she laughed. She reminded me so much of my friend, Linda Shahan! She has a ready smile, and a laugh just waiting to burst forth! I missed my "friend", yet it was wonderful..."remembering".

We enjoyed lunch with Jonathan, Brenda and the girls when we were on our way back home. I just had to throw in a picture of them! :) Here is a short slideshow for you to enjoy.

12 comments:

Christina said...

Glad you made a post about your weekend and that everyone had a good time. Their church is beautiful!

Karla said...

Their church is beautiful!! I love the Myer's!

How cool that you met someone from Allison!!! Maybe that's what happened to Daddy's feet - LOL!!! (sorry to everyone for the "inside" family humor)

iluv2prshim said...

Oh! The Myer's, what precious people! I love them to pieces! The church is absolutely beautiful.

Karla, you are too funny! LOL

Linda Elms said...

Karla, that's funny!!! LOL! Maybe the mystery has been solved! LOL!

Karen Prince said...

I loved the "rocker" picture!

Did you see Dan & Jan??
I agree the new church is beautiful.

Kim said...

I guess since Lynn isn't into hunting. I have never understood why people would want to hang dead animals on their walls and such. Their church is gorgous and I am glad ya'll are enjoying yourselfs. We do miss you though.

Kevin Hopper said...

Looks like you guys had a great time. I enjoyed the pics as well!

Anonymous said...

The Myers are awesome people. There are not any words in our vocabulary that could adequately describe them and their heroic actions during the last 5 years. I was privileged to go there and witness the loving care given to Justin. I know you enjoyed being with them. They do have a beautiful church and a beautiful spirit!

Roxana said...

Warning!! My blog is in the making! http://ramblingrox.blogspot.com

Ashley said...

Oh, Sis. Elms, I miss you bunches. Love you!

Linda Elms said...

Ashley, I miss you a lot, too! I love you.

Anonymous said...

Joe & I love Keith and Ann. They were living in Allison when we lived in Canadian. We got to visit a lot, and they were some of the people that helped me to keep my sanity. LOL What a neat thing that you could meet them and know that they were connected with your Mom and Dad. Glad to hear that you are happy and enjoying your new life. Love you!