Saturday, January 13, 2007

The Calm

I am sitting here at home in my warm cozy robe, and my warm cozy slippers, with a fire in the fireplace as I'm looking out the window into a world that is covered with ice and I'm loving it! It's so calm and cozy when we get "locked in" our houses at this time of year. I know we're all use to going places and being with people, but it's nice to have some "down time". The only thing that makes it uncomfortable for me is my husband "frets" about whether he should or should not have church tomorrow. He hates calling church off, but knows the danger of being out on ice. He loves being outside in the cold winter weather and usually we are out going and seeing the sights but, this time, I'm not wanting to go out in it. I still remember all too well the fall I had a few weeks ago and I sure don't want to go through that again! I hope you are all doing well today. I know some are already experiencing "cabin fever" but just relax and think about all those times you have said, "I would love to stay home for just ONE evening" and realize.....this too shall pass!

7 comments:

Tammy Bryant said...

Sis. Elms, oh how you make me smile. I must be getting older or others just rubbing off on me. HINT! HINT! I have so enjoyed the slowness of the day and am still so. I can not remember a time that my spirit was so enjoying just enjoying the warmth of the inside knowing how cold it is out. I do believe that this weekend was simply about having and taking the opportunity to slow down and enjoy. Thanks for your role modeling.

bouellette said...

You're just wonderful. I too am enjoying staying cozy and warm. The only thing bad about this weather is our city does not have the resources to make the streets safe. And people sure don't know how to slow down and take it carefully.

Misty said...

Thank you for the post. I admit to having cabin fever and I think our kids are experiencing this a little. They love to be outside playing constantly with weather permitting. I have a blog site now. Please visit. Love ya'll!

Ashley said...

I am enjoying the day too at mom and dad's house. We might have to stay the night if we can't make it back into town. It is nice not having anything to do because I start back to school on Tuesday and then I will have lots to do. However, I can't do my blog because the pictures are at the house. Oh well! We have been playing games and eating all day. It is very relaxing.

Linda Elms said...

Tammy, I'm glad I have "rubbed off" on you! You're not getting OLD. A persons thinking is what either keeps them young, or makes them old. Enjoy the time of relaxation.

Barbara, thank you! You're pretty awesome yourself!!!!! I agree about the streets. It would be better if we had a way to keep them safe, then we could have church.

Misty, I'm glad you've been leaving me messages. I know how the little ones start climbing the walls!! Enjoy them. They won't be young for long. I'm also glad you joined us in the "blogosphere". It's fun!

Ashley, how much fun! To be at Mom and Dad's house, eating, sleeping, playing and relaxing is wonderful! Glad you stopped by. Be safe!

Keith and Carla said...

It is still raining here. Keith is getting up EARLY to check the roads (it's supposed to start turning to ice later on). We won't know until morning if we are having service or not. Part of me wants to cozy up, and the other part wants to see what will happen in our service.

Love you!

Carla

Anonymous said...

Wow! Having to cancel church due to weather. I don't think I've ever experienced that. I can see how it would be nice to stay home and then on the other hand want to go to church. It could be LIKE church, being with family, spending quality time with them. Sounds nice. People could use the time to catch up on things, too, like Bible reading, etc.

It has been unseasonably cold here in California - snow in parts that never get snow. When it gets real cold here like this (20's & 30's), I think of the homeless and the poor who don't have heat. It makes me sad. We passed out 150 cute little blankets to kids in poor neighborhoods in Hollister a few weeks ago. That made us feel good. :).
Stay warm everyone! Love ya!