Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Five Things You Don't Know About Me

Wow! This might be a little hard to do. Thanks Gene for your generosity of including me in this marathon! Here goes:

1. I HATED elementary school up until I was in the 4th grade! The first few years of school were torture for me, because I was so SHY! I cried almost everyday! I can still smell the the lunch room, and feel the coldness of the "cloak room". (where we hung our coats and put our lunch bags). Yuck!

2. At age 8 they found out I had rheumatic fever and that's what was causing the horrible leg aches I suffered at night when I tried to go to sleep. I had to sit on the sidelines and watch the other kids play at recess, because I wasn't allowed to run and play.

3. I fell in love with my "future husband" (Wendell Elms) when I was 12 years old! I only went out with 1 or 2 other guys, one of which was Randy Keyes, and he was like a brother to me. The other one....well......we'll just leave it there....You wouldn't know him anyway. The ONLY reason I dated anyone else was because Keith, my brother, made me! He said "You are so stupid to just wait around on Wendell! You need to date some of my friends!" I knew I wanted to marry Wendell so I waited until he FINALLY realized I was alive! And he's GLAD he "found me". (ahhhhh)

4. I love skunks! I think they are the cutest little animal God made. I use to have a collection of them, but when I got married I told Mother to sell them in a garage sale and that was the end of my skunk collection. I had them from everywhere! Now, I guess I have to tell you what brought them to my attention. "At a Youth Convention in San Diego, CA (I was 14 and wasn't allowed to date until I was 16) about 3 car loads of young people went driving around. We were all friends and we had a chaperone with us so all was well. Anyway, I was in the second car and my "dream guy" was in the front car. He loved to show off *smile* so he SAW a squirrel crossing the road and thought, "I wonder if I could run over him?" and sure enough he did! Yay, for him! The only problem was it wasn't a SQUIRREL......it was a SKUNK! We smelled that skunk for the rest of the week! When it was time to go to church "he" would park the car at the entrance of the convention center and everyone had to pass by it as they went to church! LOL!! It was the talk of the convention. So, from that time and for many years to come I collected skunks in memory of that evening on the drive in San Diego! I love you, Wendell!

5. My brother had a '64 Chevy Impala that he had fixed up. It was beautiful! It had a brand new paint job on it and he was so PROUD of his car! He shouldn't have been so proud! lol One cold, foggy morning in Fresno, CA. I went out to my car to go to school and after several attempts of trying to keep it running so I could leave, I got so frustrated and started it ONE MORE TIME and as soon as it started I "stomped" on the accelerator. What I didn't realize was, I was in reverse, and when I put my foot "into the accelerator" my car SHOT out of the driveway, SMASHING into Keith's car parked across the street right BEHIND the driveway!!!!! (what a dumb place to park a car) Needless to say, I didn't go to school that day. Daddy called them and told them I'd had a wreck! LOL! I HAD! The car was almost totaled! It never was the same again. (Keith was so sweet to me even though I had messed up his "pride and joy"!)

Well, many other things come to mind, like "stuffing the spinach I hated so much" into the milk carton at school! If I'd been caught......well, there would have been some consequences! I wish that was the only problems we had at schools today.

I'll let it go at that! Now, I "tag" my sister, Karla Holley, my friends Kassie Dutton and Shirley Buxton to tell us a little about themselves that "nobody knows"! Tag......you're it! I WILL BE WATCHING!

No comments: