Saturday, January 20, 2007

Quiet Thoughtful Day

This morning we received a phone call from a Pastor in another state asking about a "sheep" that seems to have lost direction. During the conversation we visited about his son and how he is doing. I was thrilled to find out that his son is doing great! He is the Youth President of his District, and has taken the pastorate of his father's church! The church is now running around 450!! I was so happy to hear this wonderful report, because when his son was living here (in the Air Force) he was having some struggles. We did what we could to help him and his father was thanking us again for what we did during that time. You know, the blessings of serving people are numerous! You never know what impact you are having on a life when you just "do what you're suppose to do"!

Another thought:

"This too shall pass." (paraphased for "and it came to pass") Mother used to say this when it seemed something wasn't going right, so I've been thinking about this phrase the last few days. I did a search in the Bible to see how many times this phrase is used and it was in 457 scriptures! We are having so much COLD, RAINY, and ICY weather and you just don't want to get out in it. It seems like the world has pulled into their homes and are enjoying the quietness of winter. Some get cabin fever and have to get out before they go "crazy", but "cold winter" is a time of year when you can "collect yourself". It's good for us to STOP and STAY HOME with our families. It somehow rejuvenates your spirit. During this time we ought to focus on God and family! Pull out some games if you have children at home and teach them how to be competitive with a "good attitude". Read your Bible and absorb the Word of God, pray, read a good book, learn a new song, play with the little kids on the floor (dad) and enjoy the wrestling. Mom, cook some good "home cooked" meals, bake some brownies, or cookies, or pies or cakes! Laugh a lot! Make up silly jokes! Laugh at "corny jokes" your kids tell, it gives them confidence to tell more! LOL! Soon the sun will be coming through the clouds and the rain will stop, the cold will grow warmer, and you can say, "It came to pass!" You'll then be wishing you could go back into your "cave" for just a little longer, because you realize how much fun you had! So again, I say, relax and enjoy for SUMMER, HOT STEAMING SUMMER will be here all too soon!

Note: Thank you Jason for letting me use your picture "peering" through the window. You looked so lost in thought and I snapped this one at PrimeLife. It just goes really good with what I wrote today! Of course, you didn't even know I had this one of you! Enjoy those THREE LITTLE BOYS! They're wonderful!

5 comments:

Jana Allard said...

The best memories are made with loved ones. I'm glad our family took time to make memories today.

Karla said...

I love this post - and I love this picture! So reflective. I love making memories with family (& laughing at the corny jokes LOL!). Mother was definitely not the type to worry about today, because she knew whatever it was would pass in time.

Linda Elms said...

Jana, it sounds like you and your family have great times of "memory making". I know your parents did with you and Paula. Memories, memories, flood my mind.

Karla, you are so right! Mother was the most peaceful, contented person I've ever known, because she lived in the "present". Love you!

Misty said...

Of course you knew that I would love the picture! I am enjoying making our own memories with the boys. I think they are teaching us some things everyday and it is always something exciting and unexpected. :)

Linda Elms said...

Misty, I understand completely! I'm glad you liked the picture.