Monday, January 19, 2009

A Word of Encouragement

While sitting here in our motor home tonight this passage of scripture came to me from Psalm 121.

"I will lift up my eyes to the hills---From whence comes my help?  My help comes from the Lord, Who made heaven and earth.  He will not allow your foot to be moved; He who keeps you will not slumber.  Behold, He who keeps Israel shall neither slumber nor sleep.  The Lord is your keeper; The Lord is your shade at your right hand.  The sun shall not strike you by day, nor the moon by night.  The Lord shall preserve you from all evil; He shall preserve your soul.  The Lord shall preserve your going out and your coming in from this time forth, and even forevermore."

If your heart feels overwhelmed, "look to Jesus"! 

If you're weary of the struggle, "look to Jesus"!

If you can't see your way clear, "look to Jesus"!

If you are struggling with questions, "look to Jesus"! 

If you're disappointed, discouraged, in distress, "look to Jesus"!

Your help cometh from the LORD!  He will take care of you!

The words to the song Bill Henry wrote comes to mind:

But, I've never been disappointed in Jesus.  Doubt has never crossed my mind, for in Him no fault I find.  I've been discouraged with family, deserted by friends.  But, I've never been disappointed in Him.

You can make it through your dark trial!  Look to HIM! 

When my mother was suffering from cancer I was at her house one day cleaning in her bedroom.  While I was cleaning music drifted down the hallway to where I was.  Mother had gone to her piano and started playing and singing:

Master, the tempest is raging! The billows are tossing high!  The skies are o'er shadowed with blackness.  No shelter or help is nigh.  Carest Thou not that we perish?  How canst Thou lie asleep when each moment  so madly is threatening a grave in the angry deep?

The winds and the waves obey Thy will. Peace, be still!  Peace, be still!  Whether the wrath of the storm tossed sea or demons or men, or whatever it be.  No waters can swallow the ship where lies the Master of ocean, and earth, and skies.  They all shall sweetly obey Thy will...Peace, be still!  Peace, be still!  They all shall sweetly obey Thy will...Peace, peace be still! 

As she sang I wondered, "How can she sing in the middle of the pain, the struggle, the storm?"  My answer?  She knew the MASTER OF THE WIND!  She was not alone.  HE was with her.  He never left her, or us, in the middle of our "night" and He will not forsake YOU!

Jesus, I want you to touch my friends who are struggling tonight.  Let them feel your arms of love around them.  In Jesus Name!  Amen...let it be so!    

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a blessing this post is to me at just the right times in my life. I am up in the middle of the night wondering these same questions. Where is God in my struggles? I appreciate your thought and words of encouragement. I can feel safe to know He is there to hear our prayers. Anon 4

Tammy Bryant said...

WOW!! The Lord definitely knows!!

I am also up at a time from sleep that is not normal - I know this feeling. Oh, how I appreciate the words of encouragement. All is well I know because HE is in control. I thank thee for the reminder and the powerful words.

I do KNOW the Master of the Winds.

Have a great trip and always remember I love & appreciate you oh so much!

Karen J. Hopper said...

Beautiful post.

Karen Prince said...

Beautiful, comforting post.
I am SO glad I know HIM.

Anonymous said...

What an incredible post. Your scripture was just what I needed to hear. He knows my going out and my coming in. Thank you for being so sensitive to His calling.
Much love to you! Your friend across the way....

Anonymous said...

Thanks! Really needed that! Lord Bless You! D from B

janet anglin said...

Absolutely beautiful!! Thank you, Sis. Elms, for your great words of wisdom and encouragement!! Love you!

Unknown said...

Sis. Elms, Thanks so much for the encouraging words. We are going through a storm, and it is good to be reminded that We Do Know the Master of the Wind!!

Linda Elms said...

God bless you all! HOLD ON! Take courage! HE will "never leave you nor forsake you"!

Norma said...

Thank you Sis Elms....I needed this!