Thursday, October 23, 2008

A Little About General Conference

I want to say from the very beginning that General Conference was wonderful and filled with unity! We missed our friends and family that could not be there this year, because of "whatever situation", but we had a great time visiting with those who were there. We left refreshed and encouraged. I just wish everyone could have felt the "pulling together" that we felt in the services. God came and touched all those who were hungry for a fresh touch! I'm glad I was one who received it. It is really hard to describe the many emotions that swept over my soul as I sat in the services. Sometimes we rejoiced for "what the Lord had done" and "what He is doing", other times we were in awe because of "WHO HE IS".  Then there were those times we felt "conviction" from the preaching of the Word of God. Oh, how I wish everyone could have been sitting in the auditorium when thousands of voices were lifted in praise to the King of kings. I was so thankful to be around those who were "full of wonder" about the work of God!

We had our Elms Family Reunion on Jonathan's birthday this year. I know that was a special time for him. (Andrew and Mandy we REALLY missed ya'll! I really hope you can be there next year!!!!!) It was so good to see our niece's and nephew's who have grown up to be young men and young ladies!

We were so happy to be able to spend some "special time" with Randy and Sharon Keyes. This is the first year at conference that we have been able to eat TWO meals with them!! They are very special friends to us and we love being with them! As I've said in times past, "Randy and I were raised together. Randy was my brother's best friend, and I was his little sister", so we have a lot of memories we enjoy together. Also, Wendell, Randy and Sharon went to Bible School together and were friends "way back then", so they share a lot of memories. It's great having lifelong friends! We also ate several meals with the Shoemakes. Of course, they are "family" to us. One night we had dinner with Bro. and Sis. Shaw from Austin, and Gene and Karla. We had a great time of laughter!!!! LOL! I can't leave out seeing my "sister chicks", Veda, Tracie, and Jerry Ann. I love you all so much and was so happy to get to visit with you. Donna, and Shirley, thank you for inviting me to "run around" with you all. Tara, I owe you a great big thank you for helping me out at the "bus stop". :) To be honest, we saw so many friends! There is no way to list everyone we got to visit with! I LOVED BEING AT CONFERENCE!

We have been part of the UPCI all of our lives and I wouldn't trade the friendships we have made through the years. Please don't anyone criticize my "roots". I am THANKFUL for everyone who has made us who we are today. I am thankful for the opportunities we have had in the United Pentecostal Church. I am thankful for the messages that have brought us "freedom from sin"! I am THANKFUL for those who have loved us "unconditionally"! I am THANKFUL! If it wasn't for men and women of God who have taught me the "way of righteousness" I would be lost today. THANK YOU! 

Bro. Haney, our General Superintendent preached a wonderful message on Thursday night and I was once again thankful for those who "blazed the trail" before us to give us what we have today. "If it wasn't for our past, we wouldn't have what we have today, and we sure couldn't go into the future knowing God would bring us through each battle we will fight! We know we will be VICTORIOUS no matter what comes our way, because of those who were our examples!" We are on the WINNING SIDE and I plan to make it to the other side!!!!

Note:  I will do a slide show of conference.  I have a slow connection right now and it would take forever.  I'm just happy I could "blog a little" tonight.    

7 comments:

Michelle said...

Sounds like a wonderful time! Enjoy the rest of your vacation!

Anonymous said...

I was getting worried. BUT know you are still having a great time. Say A prayer for Beaumont today. We have Section 2 Rally! The Fusion Staff has worked SO hard. It all looks great. Glad my Pastor (your son) and wife are home. Lord Bless You Both. Be careful and enjoy. Sis. D from B! P.S.Thanks for letting us join you.

Tracie Smith said...

The conference was great! Kent 'preached' about it Wednesday night. He started with "I'm happy to report the state of the church is good!" He continued with telling about the various services including the teachings from the closed minister's session. We left the conference encouraged. Of course we received a few miracles ad blessigs ourselves. We enjoyed our visits with you and Bro.Elms, too!

Karla said...

I completely agree - conference was great and several of the messages "personal". Glad we got to be with y'all and LAUGH! LOL! See you in a couple weeks.

Larry said...

Are you sure you two went into the auditorium or walk the halls?

Linda Elms said...

Hello Michelle! Good hearing from you!

Sis. D. from B. :) I hope the rally went well. I'm sure it did. Glad to have you all along on our trip.

Tracie, it was a great time! Glad we could visit with ya'll, too.

Karla, we always enjoy the "laughter"! Can't wait to see you all....soon!!!

Larry, I'm SURE I wasn't "walking the halls"! My feet hurt too bad. :)

Keith and Carla said...

Glad you had a great time, we can't wait to see the pictures!