Thursday, May 08, 2008

Gotta Have a Laugh!

In all the boxes of "stuff" I have been going through I came across a box full of MEMORIES from my very young teenage years. I had so much fun going through the box and had a lot of wonderful laughs. When I was quite young (about 14 or so) there was a guy that really liked me and wanted to date me, but the "dating rule" in our home and church was: You must be 16 years old to date! It happened that this particular person was much older than me, but really wanted me to go out with him. I didn't even "like him" and really had no desire to go on a date with him. One day my friend and I were together and we started writing a "get lost letter" to him. I found it today and I had a good laugh over it. Wendell and I had a blast walking down Memory Lane today. I am going to share with you what my friend and I wrote, but keep in mind, we were all of 14-15 years old, and....I don't THINK we actually sent him a copy of it. But, we sure had fun writing it!!! LOL!

Dear ______________ ( I will not give the name)

I was just sitting here, and having nothing else to do, I thought I'd write you now and get it over with.

To begin with...............HI!

Secondly....................BYE!

Seriously, I won't be able to go with........tomorrow (ooops sorry - I was
thinking of someone else).

Really tho you shouldn't be too disappointed 'cause I've heard you say numerous times that you could take out anyone you wanted to. Anyway the OTHER girl will appreciate it.

My father wouldn't give me permission to go with you anyway - (and)
- (I've prayed about it -----(and)-----(The Lord spoke to me and said,
"Linda, there are girls needier than thou. It is more blessed to give (up a date that you don't want) than to receive it.")

The main thing is.......ooops!......I can't remember what it was.

Well, I hope you'll forgive me and by doing so not make me have to get the "writers cramp", having to refuse your asking me out so PLEASE!!!!! let's be friends and ask some girl out that will appreciate your (kind??????) offer.

Good Luck to U and May God bless you and Jesus too!

Linda Layne
Copyright 1968


Girls, I do not suggest you write a letter like this, but it was sure fun thinking about it! LOL!

I hope this brings a laugh to your heart and helps you remember some of the "goofy" things you did when you were a teenager!

Special Note: If you happen to be one of my "friends" who knew me way back then, let's please remain friends and NOT disclose ANY NAMES! LOL!

23 comments:

iluv2prshim said...

ROTF :) I'm am dieing with laughter right now. I was all of nine years old but ohhhh....I remember! Hee hee
Poor fella!

iluv2prshim said...

oops, dying

Tracie Smith said...

ha ha ha ha ha ha .....

Anonymous said...

That was HILARIOUS! Thanks for sharing!

Karla said...

ROTF!!!! That is SOOOOO great! I either wasn't born or was just a baby, so no fear that I'll know who it was. BUT... that is the best thing I've read in a long time. LOL!!!

Tammy Bryant said...

That is too too funny!! I see your writing skills were up to par even way back then.

I am glad you are finding memories to laugh about.

Jolene Harris said...

Splitting a gut here! My word I needed a good laugh. That was a good one. Thanks for sharing.

Keith and Carla said...

Thanks for the laugh!!! That's too funny.

Kevin Hopper said...

You are crazy!! I think I remember some girls coming to my wife wanting her help in writing this type of letter! I also can not divulge names but it really worked! LOL!!

Anonymous said...

As a guy all I can say is OUCH!!!! That is so funny. But how did you get the letter back? Did he give it back to you or did you just not send it?

Linda Elms said...

Hey Nathaniel! I don't think I sent it to him. I really don't remember. I'm sure if Mother read it she wouldn't let me send it. LOL!

Ron and Jerry Ann Guidroz said...

Double ROTF!!!! I needed the laugh today. We are in Chicago away from my family on Mother's day weekend and I was feeling kind of blue. You made my day!!.. All 3 of you Layne girls have an incredible ability with words. Wonder where yall got it? LOL

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness Linda Joyce! I won't divulge the person either. I do remember another letter that your mom and me helped you to write and send. Do you remember ? ? ? ? ? Hahahahahaha!
It is a wonder that Wendell would even talk to any of us!

Unknown said...

OMW! I haven't laughed so hard in a long time. ROFLOL...

Just passing through.. I saw your comment on another blog and clicked on it and am I glad I did.

What a great break from writing this term paper and a hilarious laugh to boot.

Michelle said...

This is so funny! Poor guy!

Gayla said...

My lips are ZIPPED!! LOL

Kassie said...

Wow, that was harsh...lol. But funny. :)

Linda Elms said...

Jerry Ann, I'm so sorry you won't be home this year with your kids. I'm glad I could bring you a little smile. As far as us 3 sisters and our words, if Daddy and Mother were still alive they would probably "blame" each other for the way we turned out. LOL!

Linda Elms said...

Ronda, I'm glad you had a good laugh! Who could forget this? LOL!

Karla, you were a baby! You wouldn't know him. I'm glad you enjoyed it! :)

Linda Elms said...

Joanie, I do remember that letter! I couldn't believe you and Mother did that. LOL! I think ya'lls letter was worse than this one. I wish I could find it. We found the box of "old love letters" the other day, but I didn't have time to look through them. If I find it I don't think I would share with the "world"! LOL!

Gayla, you better "lock them closed" and throw away the key! LOL!

Linda Elms said...

Thank you to everyone for putting up with my "memories". I'm glad you got a laugh out of them. LOL! I can tell I have real, good friends who enjoy having fun in life.

Unknown said...

Funniest thing I have heard in a long time. :)

Shirley Buxton
www.shirleybuxton.wordpress.com

Linda Elms said...

Sis. Buxton, I'm glad you enjoyed the story! LOL!