Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Moving Is A LOT of Work!

I have been at the church for hours today cleaning out my office, and boxing things up. But, it wasn't "packing my office" that took so long! After all the years of playing the organ for the church, the Sanctuary Choir, specials, praise and worship, I have a lot of music I want to take with me. I don't know when I will get to use it, but I will use it even if it's in my own home. Anyway, I had talked with Kassie, our music director, about copying the music and leaving my books, but today when I started copying I just couldn't leave them!! I felt like I would be cutting off both of my arms if I left my Choir Book that I've played out of for all these years! I had the most lonely feeling wash over me when I thought about leaving "my book" sitting on the organ.

"For Every Mountain", "Covered By the Blood", "When the Battle's Over", "Stormin' the Gates", "At His Feet", "God Is Good", "You Ain't Seen Nothin'", "Total Praise", "Hallelujah Anyhow", "If God Has Been So Good to You", "I Am Blessed".....and so many more. These songs have helped me through some dark hours. They have lifted my spirit as I played them. They have given me the strength to face just one more day. I have felt my spirit soar as the choir lifted their voices in praise every Sunday and Sunday night! Call me "sentimental" or "crazy", but I just couldn't stand the thought of closing my choir book, and never opening its familiar pages again! I have my music marked "just right" for me. I have little marks, and sometimes different colors marking chords and progressions on my music. I don't think I could play the music if it was on a "clean, white, new" page! So, I called Kassie and told her that I was copying my book, and leaving her the "CLEAN" copies. "Kassie, I'm so glad you said that it would be fine, because I might have cried if you had said "no". :( I cannot tell you how much I will miss playing for the choir, and for the praise and worship service! You do a wonderful job in leading the choir and playing for church! Lead, play and sing with all your heart, as you have always done. Bro. Elms and I are very proud of you!"

Playing and singing is at the very core of "who" I am! If you are a musician and you get weary at times, always remember you are giving your talents to God, and you are blessing His people as you play and sing. You are ushering in His presence so those who are weary, frustrated, and stressed from the things they face in "life", can feel His presence and leave the service refreshed, because they have been touched by God! Apostolic musicians who are anointed are very important to the church. Give it all you've got! BE the best you can be! ENJOY your "place" in the church. Don't give into the trap of weariness. We don't have time to get "TIRED"! There is someone who is needing to be refreshed. YOU may be the one to lead them to the throne room of God. Sing with "all your heart"! Play with "all your heart" and the "heart of God" will be dancing to your music!

9 comments:

Jana Allard said...

I'm catching up on reading my favorite blogs and just finished the "Dear John letter" you wrote in '68. That was too funny. I'll have to make sure Paula sees that one. LOL

You are still in my prayers. I hope you can soon find a day to rest and take a quiet drive.

Keith and Carla said...

Thank you for this post, Sis. Elms! There are times I don't feel like playing. I would rather be out in the congregation worshipping, but it's at these times that it never fails that someone will come to me telling me how appreciative they are for the music. I wish I had only let you push me a whole lot more in my earlier years!!!

It's been 10 years this month that we left Wichita Falls, and one of the things that I still miss is singing in the choir. Awesome group of people and anointed!!!

Kassie said...

Thank you, Sis. Elms, for the nice things you said about me. I will miss playing with you and will do my best to keep on...Love you.

Anonymous said...

This was a beautiful post. Inspiring.

Debbie Pryor said...

Sis. Elms what a wonderful post. I have only been playing the piano for almost three years. Learning to play has been a challenge, but your post has inspired me to keep on keeping on. From the time that I first sat down to play in our first service at the Pentecostals of OC, I have always prayed, "God please take what little talent I have and use it for Your glory. Please let my little become much in Your hands." I always want to be a willing vessel for God to use.

Tracie Smith said...

Happy Birthday!!!! Thanks to a sweet little birdie for letting us know....

iluv2prshim said...

You should have helped me speak today at the Western District Conference. :) It sounds like we compared notes.

Rochelle said...

I used to be very involved in the music ministry before we moved to Texas. We attend a church of 900 people now and I haven't been involved in this area anymore, but I miss it. I appreciate, so much, annoited musicians. And although I have never been in service with you, I know you are one of them. Thank you for your years of devotion.

Linda Elms said...

Jana, please tell Paula about this one! LOL! She MIGHT remember "who" it was. I'm not sure if she will or not. Thank you for your prayers. I will get some rest soon, I'm sure. That "quiet drive" sounds pretty good about now.

Carla, I wish I would have pushed you harder than I did! LOL! You have a beautiful touch on the organ and I'm proud of you!

Kassie, you're welcome! I know you'll keep doing good.

Anonymous, thanks!

Sis. Pryor, good for you! I'm glad you're playing for the church. It is so fulfilling to give your talents to the Lord! I know you do your best, and that's all that matters. God bless you!

Sis. Smith, THANK YOU for the "Happy Birthday"! You're very kind. See you in a few weeks at Camp Meeting!

Ronda, that's unreal! I didn't know what you were speaking on. LOL! What is it they say? "Great minds...." :) Well, what can I say? LOL!!!!

Rochelle, maybe you ought to make it known that you would enjoy playing again? I'm sure there's a place for your musical talents. As far as I'm concerned, a church can never have too many dedicated musicians. Thank you for you kind words!