Wednesday, January 02, 2008

My Friends....the Smart Family

My heart was saddened this week when I received a call from my best friend, Vicki that her father had passed away. My mind went immediately to my "girl-hood memories" of when I would travel to Texas all the way from California to spend a few weeks with the Smart family. (or Vicki came to visit me) Yes, that was their name...."Smart".... and they were always so much fun to be around! I don't ever remember being in their home when there was no laughter. Bro. Jim Bob was always telling jokes, and Sis. Wanda loved to laugh at them...no matter how many times she had heard them. In fact, he was often asked to "tell that joke again, Jim Bob". We would all laugh at them, no matter how many times they were told! Vicki and I have always had a unique relationship. We don't have to talk to each other everyday, every week, or every month. We've always been able to just "pick up where we left off"! If you know Vicki you would say along with me that she is one of the most fun people to be around. Karla, her sister is just as much fun! Laughter is readily available when you can be with them for just a few minutes. When I called Vicki to tell her when I would be there for the service for her Dad, I asked her how she was doing. She said to me, "Well, I guess you could say I'm doing pretty good since I haven't had more than two hours sleep. I'll tell you what I'd like to do is go over in a corner and just giggle, and I don't have anything to giggle about!" I have to tell you that we got so tickled and started laughing and almost didn't get stopped! How many times have we found ourselves in that situation when we were totally engulfed in laughter. Oh, how the years have flown by and I will miss Jim Bob, but I will never forget the joy I had when I was in their home. "Rest well, Jim Bob, and when you get to the other side be sure to go see Daddy, Mother and Keith and tell them a joke just for me. We might just hear ya'll laughing down here on earth. Thank you for all the wonderful memories and for your love and loyalty to the ministry through the years. Thank you for all the years you played the piano in church. I can hear you singing right now as the music floats down through the years into my mind. And thank you for allowing Vicki and I to be friends. Her friendship has been one of my "treasures" in life."

14 comments:

Mandy said...

Sounds like some good friends! I pray they will all be okay knowing that this is what we live for! Be careful in your travels. We'll miss you!

Debbie Pryor said...

Sorry to hear about this loss. I'll keep you and the family in my prayers.

iluv2prshim said...

The Smart's have been great people. Vicki and Karla have been super friends. I got tickled just reading about you and Vicki giggling. I could almost hear it. :) Jim Bob will be missed on this earth. It makes eternity look a little bit more inviting today to know he has crossed over. Wow! What a gathering that will be.

Linda Elms said...

Mandy, I wish you could have known Jim Bob and the rest of the family through the years. You would love them! Maybe sometime you will be able to be around Vicki and Karla. They would love being with you.

Linda Elms said...

Debbie, thank you for your prayers.

Linda Elms said...

Ronda, I wish you could have been at Jim Bob's service! It was awesome! We also had a good time with the family, afterwards. "What a gathering...that will be!" YES! I'm looking forward to walking on streets of gold and seeing all who have gone on before! Love you!

Ron and Jerry Ann Guidroz said...

I did not know him but I know they raised 2 wonderful girs. Where was the funeral? We've been wanting to call Mark and Karla but didn't have phone numbers or email.

Linda Elms said...

Jerry Ann, the funeral was in Austin at Rex Johnson's church. I don't know when Karla and Mark were going home. You would have enjoyed Jim Bob so much.

Debbie Saiz said...

What great people the Smart's were. I have so many fond memories of times in their home in Falwell, Tx. Jim Bob's family and my Mom's family were friends. Tonight Mom mentioned his Mom and her Grandmother. I remember when we would go to Clovis, NM to visit my grandparents, we always had a lot of fun with Karla and Vicki. The Smart's went to the Texico church with my Grandparents. I remember them playing and singing! Thanks for writing that about such a great man.

Linda Elms said...

Debbie! I had forgotten the link to your family and the Smarts! I probably knew your grandparents from being at the Texico church! It amazes me more all the time at how "small our world is"! If we keep searching we might find out we are related to each other! LOL! Have a great 2008! Love you!

Anonymous said...

Jim Bob will be so missed by so many. He was a wonderful,funny person with alot of talent. Not only did he play the piano and sing well but he was a fantastic altar worker. He helped pray me through to the Holy Ghost many years ago.
I love Wanda,Vicki and Karla. We had alot of great times on the farm with them and also singing with them in the "soulsearchers".

We also had great times with your family also.
Who is Debbie Saiz? I'm sure I knew her grandparents since I was raised there too.

Linda Elms said...

Anonymous, I sure wish I knew who you are. Maybe you could write again and leave your name. I just might know you? I'm sure I would! Debbie Saiz is "Debbie Foster". She is the daughter of Bro. Fred Foster from Lousiana. Please write back and leave your name, if you don't mind. :) If you do not want to that's okay, too. I'm just curious.

Anonymous said...

Linda, I don't know why I came up anonymous because I did post my name..?? Oh well, I am Pam Sudderth Chapman Sheehan. So yes, you do know me. You all used to come to our home and ride the go-carts. I dumped Keith once I know rounding a corner. ha
I love your blog!! And I kind of though that Debbie Saiz was a Foster.. Great family!!!

Linda Elms said...

Pam! I'm so happy to hear from you. I told Wendell I thought the comment might be from a Sudderth! LOL! I remember the time you "dumped Keith" while riding go-carts. That was so funny! I have some wonderful memories from being in Farwell and Texico. I loved going rabbit hunting with the grey hounds that Truman had! Wow...I could really enjoy a "walk down memory lane"! Please come back and visit me again sometime. I trust all is well with you and your family.