Friday, January 04, 2008

A few pictures...a few thoughts

Here are a few pictures for those who know the Smarts. I know you all would have loved being at the service. Bro. Rex Johnson was the main speaker and did an incredible job, as usual. He talked about his relationship with Jim Bob and the family. Bro. Johnson was 4 years old when he first met the Smarts. His Dad and Mom were friends with them. Then, when Bro. Johnson and his brother started singing at age 5 and 7, Jim Bob was "the piano player" for them whenever they were at Fellowship Meetings, Youth Rallies, Camp Meetings, etc. Let me just add here: This is one thing I LOVE about being part of a GREAT ORGANIZATION! The "United Pentecostal Church" has given us so much to be a part of and so much to be PROUD of! I wouldn't trade my life for any other. It has been filled with great men, great ladies, and great friendships and I'm thankful for every one of them. Having an organization that has nurtured "love and friendships", "preached truth", and "separation from the world" has been one of the main things in my life that I found to be a solid foundation. I appreciate the men and women who are and have been my leaders. It hasn't been only preachers and their wives, but saints of God like Jim Bob and Wanda Smart, who have stood firmly in truth, and lived holy, godly, joyous lives that have impacted me and my family. I thank God for the "preachers and saints" who have "stood their ground in adversity" and who have not given into the "shifting sands of time". You have been my strength! THANK YOU! Just think, when I started typing today, I didn't have much to say, but as I "walk down Memory Lane" once again, I am reminded of my "roots" and how blessed I have been. I am not about to walk away from the things I love and trust! The principles of the Word of God that people like the Smarts have lived are what keep us strong in "this present world". (I may write more on this later) Again, let me say THANK YOU to my wonderful friends for standing beside me through the years. I love you all!

Jim Bob always had a smile!

Karla Christian, Wanda Smart, Vicki Christian, and Me


Vicki and me (friends forever)




Back to Bro. Johnson's message....He told about losing his little boy Justin at 4 years old and how "life seems to come around". He knew Bro. Jim Bob at age 4 and now Jim Bob has gone on to his reward, and he said, "I just think, somehow, when Jim Bob's spirit reaches the streets of gold that Justin will know him. And, knowing Jim Bob here on earth has been such a wonderful experience, I can only imagine how wonderful it will be for my son to know him "on the other side"! There is an old chorus that goes like this:
"On the other side treasures there have I. Treasures that this world and all it's wealth could never buy. When I reach that city and the gates swing open wide. I'll find my treasures waiting on the other side!"
I am looking forward to the day I can meet all of those who have gone on before me, and all of us who remain, on the streets of gold!
"Won't we have a time when we get over yonder? OHHHHHH won't we have a time!" "We'll sing and shout and dance about, when we get over yonder...."
Heaven is going to be a JOYFUL place!

19 comments:

Karla said...

Amen, amen and AMEN!

iluv2prshim said...

How precious! I enjoyed reading about the service and seeing the pictures. Karla and Wanda look like twins. :) They always have.
And....amen to all the other stuff too. :)

Anonymous said...

To Our Wonderful Friend,

Thank you for the kind tribute concerning the life and testimony of our much-loved father. Our memories of his contagious laughter, positive disposition and above all, his love for God and the truth will forever be a part of our lives. Thank you for being such an incredible friend to our family.

Love ya lots,

Vicki and Karla

Kevin Hopper said...

Great tribute to a great man and a great family. Not only Bro. Smarts but to those who have blazed the trail before us. They blazed it deep and wide so we wouldn't lose our way. Like you I am so glad to be a part of the United Pentecostal Church! Thanks for another fabulous post!

Anonymous said...

Linda, Thank you for such a wonderful post. It brought my friends close.
The Smarts have been a wonderful part of my life.
Bro. Baglin just marvels at the youthfulness of the ladies. He has never met Wanda. she is a class act.
Reading your posts made me feel closer to all.
I have so many memories of you and the Smarts and all our times together. Bro. Baglin did not know Jim Bob . He enjoyed the post.
Keep on posting, Linda.

I love you all.
Aunt Joyce

Linda Elms said...

Karla, I'm glad you agree with me! LOL! (really)

Ronda, you're right about Sis. Wanda and Karla looking so much alike. I always knew they looked alike, but when I saw them together this time it was just amazing.

Vicki and Karla, it is my pleasure to know ya'll and I'm glad we could be together during this time. I'll be praying for you! Love you both!

Kevin, you are so right about those who have "blazed the trail". I want to follow in their footprints and be pleasing to God! God bless you and thank you for writing.

Linda Elms said...

AUNT JOYCE!!!! I am so excited to be hearing from you on my blog!!! I didn't know if you still read or not. :) I wish you could have been at the service for Bro. Jim Bob. You would have been so proud. Oh yes, my mind goes to wandering down the road of the past so much when I get with my "old friends" or hear from one of them. I love you so much and would just love to sit down and visit with you for awhile. Thank you for writing!! Let me hear from you again sometime.

Rochelle said...

What a beautiful tribute. And yes, heaven is going to be a joyful place! Beautiful post.

Debbie Saiz said...

Sounds like a beautiful service. Thanks for sharing. What great pics! I need to make sure my parents see them. . . .they would love it.
By the way. . . .Keep preachin' Sista!!

Linda Elms said...

Rochelle, thank you! If you could know the family you would enjoy them, I'm sure.

Linda Elms said...

Debbie, I'll keep preachin' if you'll keep saying AMEN! :) Please show the pictures to your folks. I talked to Vicki and Karla tonight and they were doing good. Vicki said you had called, also. Have a great weekend!

Gene Holley said...

It was a very touching homegoing celebration! There were so many wonderful things said about this fine man. The family is always enjoyable to be around - laughter is guaranteed! Now, we must get Vicki's book started....

Linda Elms said...

Gene, I think we should get on that book ASAP! LOL! I think we could actually pull it off, don't you? :)

Jana Allard said...

What a wonderful tribute. Like you, I am so glad to be part of a wonderful organization. The United Pentecostal Church International is my roots. I have often thought, "What would we do without such a great family of God?"

Ditto what Debbie said - Keep preaching. I'll shout, "Amen."

Linda Elms said...

Jana, thank you for your comments. I am so thankful to have "common ground" with so many wonderful people. Love you!

Anonymous said...

Linda,

Vicki called today and said I needed to read the updates that have been sent. You are quite the coordinator! You might do well writing a book after all! lol

Thanks for your kindness to our family.

(Gene, perhaps I need to speak with you about an agent status [ha].)

Karla

Linda Elms said...

Karla C. - I'm glad to be hearing from you, again. I hope you and the family are doing good. I really appreciate your "vote of confidence" on me writing a book! LOL! I'll get right on that. :) By the way, you might want to talk to Gene about being your "agent". He would make a good one! :) I'll make sure I let you know when I write my book! Come back and visit often. Love you!

vicki said...

If an author such as Karla Christian suggests that you need to write a book, you'd better get started on it. The only thing is, we will have watch what we say when talking to you, or you will be quoting us like she does in her books. LOL! Like Dad used to say, if you ARE writing a book, just leave my chapter out. LOL! Great blog, by the way! Love you, Vicki

Linda Elms said...

Vicki, I would be very careful to quote you "exactly", so you wouldn't have to worry that I would "put words in your mouth"! LOL! You don't have to worry about it too much anyway, because I don't think I'm going to be getting it together in the next few weeks. :) It is so good hearing from you! I've thought about you a lot since coming home and pray you are doing good. I know it's rough losing your Dad, but I also know God is holding you and your family. Love you lots!!!!