Thursday, December 13, 2007

Family

This morning I received a call from my nephew Nathaniel, and I enjoyed the "visit" long distance so much! While visiting with him I learned things about him that I did not know, and admire very much. What a great man he is and has become over the years. Thank you, Nathaniel for calling. Now, let me tell you why I am writing today. I LOVE FAMILY! I know that doesn't come as a surprise to any of you who read my blog, but in my talking with Nathaniel and saying goodbye to him, he said something that brought tears to my eyes and a touch of sadness to my heart, yet I was happy. NO....he didn't say anything wrong....he said everything RIGHT! Families are so neat! It's amazing to me how personalities and traits are handed down from one generation to the next. Today I heard it again and loved it! Keith, my brother who passed away in 2000...SEVEN long years ago (that's hard to believe) had a way of saying one word in a "different" way, and he "came alive" again today. Nathaniel said "that word" today. The word is "a....ryight" (lol) How do you spell it? (lol) Nathaniel said "a...ryight" (alright) just like Keith always did, and that's what made me "sad", yet "happy". I could hear Keith talking to me at that very moment. When I hung up the phone, I then called Andrew, our son who was at the church. I once again heard my brother in Andrew's voice and words! I LOVE FAMILY! Families keep memories alive through their actions, words, voice, and stories told. Andrew has actions "just like Keith" and sometimes I go back in time when I'm with him. Even though my eyes fill with tears, especially this time of year, my heart leaps with happiness to know my brother lives on through some of the men in my life!! I LOVE FAMILY! Now, unless you think I am sad, I probably am a little bit, but that comes with life. I am fine and don't want anyone to "feel sorry" for me. :) Memories are what keep people enjoying life and having them is a blessing! I would hate to live without having the sweet memories of those I love. Enjoy your family this Christmas, and you'll have "beautiful, fun memories" to ENJOY the rest of your life.

11 comments:

iluv2prshim said...

So true. I wish I knew how many times Nathan and I have looked at each other and said about Nathaniel, "that is just like Keith". Some of the sweet things aaaannnd some of the more irritating things. I'm glad 'Than called you today and you got to know him a little better. I just wish Andrew was close so I could get one of those big bear (Keith) hugs. Oh well, one of these days we will all live together forever!

Debbie Saiz said...

Yesterday, I mentioned Keith to Steve and talked about him. He was a great guy. So hard to believe that it has been 7 years. He was the life of the party and would have loved all of this blogging so much. He loved e-mail!! My nephew Hayden (Tom & Gayla's boy) is built so much like Keith. Thanks for the reminder about family. . . .when families are like yours and mine, living so far apart, the times together are so much sweeter and more special.

Cheri said...

Sis Elms, I dont know you yet, but I am going to say that you and your family are awesome, When you talk about family, it makes me glad to know that there are families that are still close, we didnt have that growing up, I am not saying that for sympathy, but I will say that it has made me to be a different person, and knowing that my sister and niece are close makes me so very happy. My church family is my family, and we are very close, there are some that when we are introduced they assume we are really sisters, or brothers, it is amazing the love that we have towards one another even when we do not know each other, learning about others and knowing that there are still believers out there makes me feel like i have family all over the world. it is great that you can see your brother in your nephew and your son, my daddy tells me at times that i will do something just like his mom, and I know that I am alot like my gramma on my moms side, the way that i write and love the color purple, "sorry to write so much" Hope to meet you one day, God Bless, ♥ Cheri

Karla said...

I have to agree with Debbie - Keith would have LOVED blogging!! Can you imagine the blogs he would have written?! I still go back and read email I saved from him.

Also, I think the way you spell that word is "aiight". Keith said that for years - now it's "the thing" to say. Who knows - he may be the one that got it started everywhere. LOL!!

Gayla said...

I think another reason you're thinking about Keith, is that his birthday was a few days ago. Yes, I remembered....I always have remembered his birthday.

Kevin Hopper said...

Yes! You and your family closeness is great! When ministry and work in the kingdom has you scattered all over God's creation, any time together is to be treasured. I remember Keith, and I always looked up to him (not only because of his size) even when he was in my dad's youth group in Fresno. We had some great and times together as we did in those days. I remember midnight excursions around town, TP comes to mind, and power outage comes to mind as well. LOL!!

Karen J. Hopper said...

Linda, your family is a beautiful memory in our family's lives while your dad pastored us in Fresno (and even after). Everyone of you has always given so much of yourselves. In thinking of Keith, I go back to when he, Randy Thiesen and Rick Taylor decided they were going to take care of the Girl TP Patrol. There was a knock at our door, and it was Keith & Company. Keith said to my husband, "Doc, the girls are coming to TP your house, and we are going to get them." When the TP Patrol arrived, Keith & Randy were on our roof with water hoses, and Rick was waiting in the bushes to turn on the sprinklers. Those boys felt such an accomplishment that night. Now seriously - Keith enjoyed life to the fullest as a Christian, had a heart of gold, a genuine love for God, and was so multi-talented musically. Thank you for posting "Family" - it was such a blessing to me.

iluv2prshim said...

LOL! I was part of the group of girls that got plastered with the water that night. I was young and felt so grown up to be hanging out with the older girls. And then we got it! LOL good memories

Rochelle said...

I feel like I got to know you and your family so much just by reading this post and these comments. There is just something special about adding words to the way we feel and sharing it with others. Thanks.

Linda Elms said...

WOW! Ya'll are all wonderful for writing and sharing your memories and enjoying mine!! THANK YOU!

Ronda, YES one day we will all be together again! They might ought to get heaven ready for the "Layne Family"! LOL! Once we step on streets of gold we are going to have a TIME!

Debbie, THANK YOU for remembering Keith. It's always so special when someone talks about the one you love so much! It's so neat that you had just been talking about Keith. Is there anyway we can get Texas, Lousiana, and California closer together? :)

Cheri, someday we will get to meet. I'm glad I've been a tiny blessing to you. Thank you for "staying up" with my life. I just randomly write and hope someone enjoys it. Thanks again.

Karla, thank you for giving the spelling for that word! LOL! I sure didn't know it is "the thing" to say, now. I think Keith probably did get it started! LOL! As for him blogging....he would be having a blast writing and enjoying getting all the response! Love you!

Gayla, yes it was his birthday a few days ago and I definitely was thinking about him a lot. You sure do you have a good memory! I wish mine was half that good. It's good hearing from you! Did you get my email the other day? If so, please write me at my email address. I don't know if I have your correct address. Love you!

Kevin, you brought up a lot of memories! LOL! THANK YOU, THANK YOU! GREAT memories are what help life worth living. Keith loved having fun!

Karen, WOW....we all go back a LONG way, don't we? It's so much fun being in the "family of God"!! As for all the "fun" Keith and "company" got into, I'm sure I wasn't a part of it! LOL! LOL! Thank you for the "fun".

Ronda, I remember this happening. I had forgotten about it. I just wonder what Daddy said to all of the ones involved when he found out. I would like to know that! LOL! I can just hear him now.

Well, everyone....I have enjoyed this so much. Thanks for being a part of my life! It doesn't matter if we've known each other for many years, or just getting to know each other...I can say that it's so nice knowing there are wonderful people in this world we're living. Someday we will get to be together and we will have a wonderful time "up there"!

Linda Elms said...

Rochelle, isn't it fun getting to "know" each other? I love it! Glad you stopped by.