Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Scott McManus Funeral

Tuesday night was the gathering of many friends who came to pay tribute to a great man. The visitation started at 6 p.m. and people were still standing in line to greet Belinda and family at 9:30! Belinda wanted to greet everyone who was there and she was a "strong tower" of strength. Yesterday we attended the home going service of Bro. McManus and it was a beautiful service of remembering. I asked one of the funeral directors how many were there and he said between 1600-1800. The service started with the McManus' son Lucas (age 32) greeting the crowd with the scripture "I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills from whence cometh my help..." bringing our attention to the One that could give us comfort. The presence of God flooded our hearts as Lucas led the congregation in the song, "I Am a Friend of God". There were several who spoke: Bro. Bob Myre (Section 6 Presbyter) Bro. Danny Russo (Texas District Superintendent) Mr. James Erwin (Friend - Justic of the Peace in Greenville) and Bro. Anthony Mangun (Scott's pastor - Alexandria, LA). Caronda Adams sung one of my favorite songs, "He'll Be Enough". She did a beautiful job. Caronda and Belinda are very close friends and Caronda sung from her heart to help her very special friend and she was a blessing to all. "Standing In the Presence of the King" was sung by Russell and Julie Burns. It was a very fitting song. Just to think that our friend was now standing in the presence of Almighty God was incredible. Sis. Mickey Mangun also sang, and she sung another one of my favorites, "Long and Winding Road". Everytime I hear her sing this song she amazes me! Her "presence" and the way she ministers to her hearers is so annointed! To me the highlight of the whole service was when Sis. Belinda stood and spoke of her husband. She brought laughter to our hearts and you will hear the response in the video that follows. She was wonderful! It amazes me how God gives us grace in the time of loss. Bro. Mangun's message was powerful and touching. He told of Bro. McManus' conversion and how God had called him into the ministry. He told of his PASSION and love of people. He was truly a great man of God! I cannot tell you the depth of love we all felt throughout the service. I hope you can hear the video well that I took of Belinda speaking about her husband. I'm sorry to say that my memory stick filled up just as she was finishing her speech. I wish it would have held out just a few more minutes, but you will be able to hear most of her speech. (I had to upload separate video's to post all of her speech. Be sure and watch both of them.) Her last statement was: "My only regret is that I didn't have longer to live with Scott."

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for posting the service on your site. I did not find out about Brother McManus until today and am more sad than I can express (although I do recognize the final journey home side of it). Watching Sister McManus speak was very soothing and heartwarming - so glad I didn't miss it.
Heather

Don Ryan said...

It sounds like a beautiful service. Our prayers are with the family.

Michelle said...

Thank you for posting Sister McManus' speech. It was wonderful.

Ron and Jerry Ann Guidroz said...

It was an awesome service. I was glad to see you and cherish our friendship more everyday. Belinda was awesome and you could tell that the prayers of God's people were carrying her. Thank God we don't have to have His undergirding everyday, but when we need HIM as the comforter....He always comes through ad is ENOUGH. Ron and I were very comforted by the service and thought each one did spectacular.

meliaka said...

Beautiful... Thank you for sharing. Steph

Anonymous said...

Belinda did an incredible job. She delivered her "message" with such grace. It was beautiful. I wish I could have been there. We continue to pray for her, Lucas and the church family.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful tribute Belinda paid to her outstanding husband. I'm amazed at her strength.

Brother McManus held an outreach seminar at our church in Rialto many years ago.

Blessings and comfort to his wife and son.

Sassy said...

I hope her permission was asked before posting her husbands funeral across the web.

Linda Elms said...

Jill...yes, Belinda knows and is just fine with me posting her speech. She wants everyone to know that though she is grieving she is doing well. She spoke in front of 1600-1800 people and is happy for people to hear what she had to say. I trust you enjoyed it.

Julie McCracken said...

Dear Linda- I can't thank you enough for posting Belinda's speech. I live in Seattle and have tried to find some sort of blog where people could leave their personal stories of this wonderful man. I came across yours, and was very touched at your kind words. I wanted to so badly to be at the service...and now I feel that I was. Thank you!!!! I hope that it is ok, but I wanted to share my story, on what a wonderful man Brother McManus was to me.... I visit family in Greenville Texas about once a year, and have had the privilege to know both Bro. & Sis McManus. When I come to town both of them clear their very busy schedules to make time to visit and have lunch with me. They prayed for me, loved me, and cared about me during a very hard time in my life. Brother McManus did a special baby dedication for my son. Because of both of them, I returned to church again and am raising my son to follow in Christ. They showed me that you can be “cool” and go to church. My heart hurts for Belinda, Lucas, Nancy, and my Living Word Church family. To know Scott McManus was a privilege…to call him my friend…That is a True Honor. I love you my friend. Until we meet again. ~Julie McCracken

Linda Elms said...

Julie, I am so happy you found my blog, and I'm thankful you were able to "go to the service" for Bro. McManus by it. You are more than welcome for the posting. You have very special memories of Bro. McManus that will stay with you the rest of your life and someday you will be able to see him again. That is our GREAT HOPE! My heart is touched by your words. Have we met, before? If so, where, when. Please refresh my memory. God bless you and thank you for writing.