Today, I celebrate a great man of God, my father. He went to be with the Lord 3 years ago today. I miss him so much that it hurts, at times. I would like to be able to tell him about the accomplishments of my two sons, Jonathan and Andrew and how they have made him proud in their ministry's. He always talked about his grandsons and what great men they were. Daddy, today I want you to know they are still walking with the Lord and doing His work. I would like to show him my grand-daughters....all four of them. He would love watching them worship in church. I know they would win his heart! Daddy, we are doing well as a family. Ronda and Karla are doing well. We have been through good days and bad days since you've been gone, but God has always been with us. You always said, "Let the peace of God rule in your hearts" and that's what we have done. We know that "all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose." You taught us to trust God and I thank you. If we hadn't had the firm foundation of truth established in our hearts from your preaching and teaching, the last several years of life might have thrown us, so I want you to know that I appreciate your firm hand and your unconditional love in my life. I really don't know what to say, except that I love you and I will "meet you in front of the throne"! It will be worth it all when we see Jesus. I know wherever He is, you will be standing close by, greeting the saints who have made their way to that bright city! I can't wait to see you again!
Thursday, April 05, 2007
Great Man Remembered
Today, I celebrate a great man of God, my father. He went to be with the Lord 3 years ago today. I miss him so much that it hurts, at times. I would like to be able to tell him about the accomplishments of my two sons, Jonathan and Andrew and how they have made him proud in their ministry's. He always talked about his grandsons and what great men they were. Daddy, today I want you to know they are still walking with the Lord and doing His work. I would like to show him my grand-daughters....all four of them. He would love watching them worship in church. I know they would win his heart! Daddy, we are doing well as a family. Ronda and Karla are doing well. We have been through good days and bad days since you've been gone, but God has always been with us. You always said, "Let the peace of God rule in your hearts" and that's what we have done. We know that "all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose." You taught us to trust God and I thank you. If we hadn't had the firm foundation of truth established in our hearts from your preaching and teaching, the last several years of life might have thrown us, so I want you to know that I appreciate your firm hand and your unconditional love in my life. I really don't know what to say, except that I love you and I will "meet you in front of the throne"! It will be worth it all when we see Jesus. I know wherever He is, you will be standing close by, greeting the saints who have made their way to that bright city! I can't wait to see you again!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
13 comments:
I did not realize that today was the day that Bro. Layne passed, but I stood in my new sanctuary today and thought, "He would have loved to see this!" He was all about the work of God. I miss him as well- although not nearly as deep as you, Ronda and Karla. I was working at the church today with a elder gentleman that used love to go hear Bro. Layne preach. He made a mark on his world. He has made it! Glory be to God.
Linda - you'll be surprised to hear from me, I'm sure. Your blog today brought a few tears to my eyes. I can't believe it has already been three years!! He was a great man. He touched many of us!
Also, you may be interested to know that I have a 15 month old granddaughter whose name is also Alayna! She is a joy.
God Bless you.
Love,
Pat (Robbins) Smart
You said it right, my sweetheart. Great blog. He was a great man of godly things. He left his mark on me, and I feel his influence in my life even now. He helped shape me in my early days of ministry. I'm thankful and I DO miss him a lot. I'm glad I got to be around him all those years. My, what memories.
Gene, I also thought of ya'll and your new sanctuary today knowing that Daddy would be so proud of it and excited to see a new work growing. He loved to see the beginning of new things. He definitely touched everyone's world that he came in contact with.
Pat, what a shock! I had no idea that you read my blog!! I am surprised to hear from you, but I'm happy to hear from someone I've know all my life. Daddy loved the church in Fresno and all the saints of God. Thank you for writing. Also, don't you just love the name Alayna? I think it is so pretty. Our Alayna JOY is definitely just that....pure JOY!! Hope to hear from you again soon.
Wendell, thank you for writing! I love hearing from YOU on my blog. You're the greatest! :) Daddy loved you like his own son and was so proud of you! I'm glad you and him were friends. I can say you knew how to "pet the bull to get the calf", as Daddy use to say. I love you! Thank you for sharing in my memory today.
Sis. Elms,
You are so right, Bro. Layne was an awsome man. Such an example to all. I will never forget the time he stopped by Mason's hospital room and prayed for him. This was on his way up to sit with Sis. Layne. He saw that I was tired and told me to take a break for a few minutes. That Mason would be fine. I Actually was able to go fix me hair and then take a short walk. I know My kids would have enjoyed him so much. He reminded me alot of my Grandpa Shaw and my Dad.
Sis Elms, Wow talk about a small world, I never personally met your father, but I have heard his name over the years of the great man and preacher that he was. It is awesome that he preached strong and that many people were blessed because of his ministry, I am sure that he would be very proud of your family, May the Lord Bless you today and always, ♥ cheri
Julie, thank you for your memories of Daddy. He loved your family.
Cheri, yes it is a small world for sure. Daddy was loved by a lot of people! He gave love and received it. Thank you for writing.
I have to admit, this brought tears to my eyes. I couldn't read it without thinking of my Dad. It will be 8 years next month since my Dad passed. I truly understand how much you miss your Dad.
That's a lovely post, Sister Elms. I would loved to have met your father.
My thoughts are with you. It is so easy for us to remember the dates and not so easy for others. I wish I could remember everybody's day to be there for them. Of course you know I will always be there for you if you ever need to talk to anyone. Of course I know you have many others and of course the Lord but just incase you think of me it would be privelege to have you call me.
Sis Elms,he was the empitome of a Godly man. I like to here Kyle Imitate his deep voice "When I think of the goodness of the Lord"
Heaven has surely been sweeter since. We still see him through you, Rhonda and Karla.
Jana, our Dad's were great friends. I've thought of Bro. Wilson so many times through my life and what fun Paula and I used to have together. Also, I always loved watching our parents enjoy each others company! Your parents were some of my favorites!
Bro. Ryan, I wish you could have known him. You would have definitely been loved by him, and also gained a lot through his ministry. He loved people!
Thank you Sis. Barbara for your kindness. You have been a help to me so many times when you didn't even know it. But, I just might have to call you sometime. I appreciate your words.
James, Daddy loved you so much. I can still hear him saying, "Well, hello there Bro. James". He's made it to the other side along with your dad. I'm sure they've met up with each other somewhere. Daddy loved to visit with everyone, and loved people! Thanks for writing.
Post a Comment