Tuesday, November 02, 2010

An Unexpected "Life Lesson"

While eating Sunday dinner with Pastor and Sis. Gunstanson in Ranger, and some folks from their church who had brought a little boy with them to eat with us, my husband and I were very impressed at how mannerly this little guy was. We mentioned this to each other, then I spoke to him and mentioned how quiet he had been through the meal. For a six year old to sit and eat and be so quiet and mannerly was really heart-warming! I started asking him questions and when he answered I listened attentively. This little guy held such a good conversation about dinosaurs, trains, and trucks, that I found myself captivated by all the "interesting things" he talked about. At one point in his telling me things he enjoyed and holding conversation with Sis. G, the Pastor's wife, he got tickled and said, "Sometimes I crack myself up!" He then asked Sis. G. if she ever "cracks herself up". I sat there and enjoyed his laughter, because he was REALLY "cracked up" over what he had said. I then told him that sometimes "I crack myself up". When I said that he got so tickled and as he laughed it became contagious. We laughed together for awhile and his words were forever printed in my mind.

Today I have thought about my "little friend" and what made him so delightful. He was mannerly, a good conversationalist, interesting, and SO enjoyable. At his young age he has already learned about things that I would have never been interested in, but coming from him I found myself being drawn into his conversation. I really don't remember much about what he said when he spoke of "dinosaurs, trains, and trucks", but I was reminded once again of a life changing principle when he said "I sometimes crack myself up". This one thing, if learned, can change your life.

Many people have never learned to "crack themselves up"! In other words...laugh at themselves. They get angry when they make a mistake, and in their embarrassment act in such a negative way that they embarrass you, and themselves even more, because they reacted so "childish"! I'm thinking that "acting childish" is really "acting adultish". "Acting adultish people" do not throw their head back and laugh at themselves. We would do well to heed a child's "advice" and "crack ourselves up"!

Sunday afternoon, at New York Hill Restaurant, a few miles from Ranger, TX is a time I'll always cherish.

"Thank you "little friend" for your great conversation at Sunday Dinner and for the "life lesson" I hadn't thought about in awhile. I hope when you are 16, 26, 36, or 106 that you will still be "cracking yourself up" and enjoying life! Life will come against you as you "grow up", and you will have stress. There may be times that nothing "makes sense", but if you will trust God and keep "cracking yourself up" you'll make it through any situation you face. I am looking forward to another time when we can once again sit and talk. I have a feeling that we'll find ourselves "cracked up"...and that'll be alright with me."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh! I SO enjoyed this post! :D And I agree with all my heart. I crack myself up every day...and I crack my family up...and they crack me up! It's so fun cracking up! LOL!

Anonymous said...

Thanks Sis Elms for a great post. Cameron keeps us all "cracked up". He's so honest. He's one of a kind.

Sis Gee

Mary said...

Oh my....I enjoyed your post today and have enjoyed keeping up with your travels. Miss you in Lufkin but when you return we will have to get together for breakfast, lunch or dinner :)

Shhhh I'm not telling my family about this post because they would admit to you that I'm always giving them something to Crack up about, lol...

Mary

Linda Elms said...

Thank you all for responding. Love you all!