Friday, October 29, 2010

New Kind of Feeling

I'm going to say right up front that I'm sure there's not too many people that will understand what I'm going to write. Now...I've really got your curiosity up! It's really no big deal, but to me a "new kind of feeling" hit me this week.

As you all know, I LOVE to TRAVEL! I'm also one that doesn't get too attached to my houses. Ok...I can hear some of you ladies now as you catch your breath, and I see you shaking your heads! Unlike most ladies I have known in my life, I actually have no problem letting someone come into my kitchen and allowing them to organize it the way they think it ought to be done. I have moved several times and I always welcomed the help of unloading boxes and putting things away. I guess one reason why it didn't bother me to have someone else "organizing my kitchen" is I knew I could go into my kitchen and put things where I wanted them, if I wanted it different.

When we moved into our last house in Wichita Falls I had two interior decorators come in and decorate it. They asked me what I liked, and my answer to them almost made them faint! I said, "You know...I really don't know what I want. I just want you to decorate my house. I want it to be beautiful and when I walk in I want to like it!" They couldn't believe I wasn't going to tell them what I wanted. I figured that's what interior decorators were FOR! I had too many other things on my mind to have to worry about decorating a house! Are ya'll still breathing????? They were thrilled that they had free-reign in my house, and were so kind to tell me that if I didn't like something I could take it down, put it in the corner, and they would pick it up! I did exactly that. They left a price list of all the things they used and I decided what I wanted and didn't want! It was GREAT!

When I moved to Lufkin and bought a smaller house I was so afraid all my pretty things I had bought 3 years earlier would not fit. I was very surprised when most everything I bought, flower arrangements included, fit beautifully!!! Talk about excited! I was one happy lady! Some of my furniture did not work, but that was okay, because we were starting a brand new "style of living" in our "patio home". It is very cozy and I enjoy opening the blinds in the morning to look outside at the beautiful trees, and I love watching as the birds and squirrels play around the trees. I've even had beautiful humming-birds at my bird feeder! It's a very lovely setting and it brings peace to my mind.

Now for that "new kind of feeling" I have been experiencing...

As I walked through my house this week, I realized that I am really getting attached to it! I've talked to ladies through the years that they HATED being away from home, and to be very truthful, I really didn't understand it! Any time I could be on the road for a few days seeing the beauty God created was always wonderful to me. Now...this week, I had a "lonely feeling" go through my heart when I thought about leaving my HOUSE! I'm still trying to decide if I like that or not. As much as we travel I really don't want to start wanting to be home when we have to be gone!

I wonder if the way I've been feeling is how we all should feel about the "home" we have never seen before. Somehow, I get a "new kind of feeling" when I think about the "home" that is waiting for us, and I feel "homesick" to go. I've been traveling here a long time, and have friends and family that are waiting for me. Jesus is also there and He's wanting to see me. This "new kind of feeling" that surrounded me this week is making me think a little differently now. I understand a little better what the "longing for my eternal home" feels like.

Daddy and Mother used to sing a song that I have loved through the years. I can still hear their voices from the living room as they sang:

I've got a longing. I'm homesick to go!
To a land without heartache, no sorrow, or woe.
There's nothing but trouble in this world below.
I'm homesick for Heaven, I've got a longing to go!

There voices were strong and I could feel the passion they had for Heaven. Then Mother went into a different tempo and they continued:

Lord, when are you coming?
Lord, I've waited so long.
Come and get me Jesus.
Lord, I want to go home.

Footsore and weary. Lonesome and blue.
Homesick for Heaven and my Savior, too.
I've been reading my Bible.
'Bout a land beyond the blue.
Come and get me Jesus.
Lord, I want to go home.


I love the words to that song! But, more than the words I LOVED the presence of God I felt as they lifted their voices as one. Yes, I've got a "new kind of feeling", but now that I think about it, it just might be more about Heaven than it is about my "earthly home".

4 comments:

Keith and Carla said...

Sis. Elms, you are not alone in your "new kind of feeling!"

It's so weird. I have usually been VERY attached to my homes that we have 'owned', but here lately I have began to feel so unattached. I am wanting to travel more. I have always loved vacations, but here lately I'm not wanting to return to my house like I normally would. I just want to stay traveling! :)

I've also had that feeling of wanting to see my 'brand new home'. I can't wait!!! It's not really the streets of gold or a mansion I want (I've never and probably never will have those things here so I really could careless), but it's Jesus that I long to see!

Linda Elms said...

Carla, I understand! :) Enjoy traveling anytime you can. Love you so much! And...I will see you in our "brand new home" someday!

Anonymous said...

Hmmm...first of all, I love how you share your thoughts and feelings. I think it's good for your readers because your writings are so uplifting and encouraging. "Feel good" words...always. And...I think it's good for you as well, yes? :-)

Second of all. I am NOT attached to my house. I would LOVE to travel if I could. :-) ...*far away look in my eyes* some day...

Hey, I just had a thought! It's in my genes! The love of travel. I just realized it. My grandparents were missionaries. My grandmother traveled the world (alone - ahhh...that sounds nice...sometimes ;-) ) after grandpa passed, and...my uncle is a missionary and his daughter. Wow! Hmmm...thanks. :-) Oh! And my son, Kyle, has a great desire to go overseas. Very interesting...

♥u

Linda Elms said...

Thank you, Tena. I'm glad you enjoy what I write. I really do enjoy putting my thoughts "on paper". :)