The service was also blessed with some TBC students. They were wonderful to have in service. They worshipped with all their hearts, and I was so proud of them! TBC student, Clint Long brought the main message and did a real good job delivering his heart.
While he was preaching I glanced across the aisle and this is what I saw.
Look closely and you will see Bro. Strong was taking notes while the "young man" preached! What a picture! I know the "young preacher" was most likely nervous preaching while these "old warriors" sat in the audience, and I wanted to tell him he was preaching to his greatest supporters!
Here's a word to you, young preacher's....The "old preacher" wants to see the "young preacher" succeed! They want you to feel that familiar anointing they have felt through the years! They want you to preach it with all your heart, without fear or favor! They want to see God bless you as He has blessed them! Go ahead and PREACH, young preacher! It's beautiful watching from a distance as you run beside those who have carried the torch of the Gospel of Jesus Christ for so long.
Young preacher, run slow enough so you don't leave the elder behind. You can learn from him as you stay beside him. Listen close, listen intently. If you will stay attentive, through the deep breaths he's taking to stay in the race a little longer, you will hear instructions on how to run this race.
One day while you're running you may notice he is no longer there. It's okay to pick up your pace after you take him to his resting place and pay honor to him...but if I understand life...when you resume the race, you will catch up to another elder who needs to hear the words of a "young preacher" encouraging him to "keep running the race that is before him." Let him know you will be by his side helping him carry the banner of truth!
As the years go by....one day....you will glance to the side...and YOU will see a "young preacher" running beside you, and you will hear these words...."Come on, Elder! You can make it! Keep running! Keep preaching! We want to hear every word you have to say! You have been running a long time....please talk to us!"
Then...you will sit down on the pew to hear the "young preacher" preach. You will take notes of what you're hearing, because the Word of God never grows old to the "old warrior" who has given his life for this precious Gospel!
And the cycle goes on....and on....and on............
8 comments:
Sweet post! Probably even more special to me than some since it was @ my in-laws church and Clinton Long was preaching. Of course we are very close to the McClains, grandparents of Clinton. In fact I was with Sis. McClain and Darla, Clinton's mom, last night.
I remember Kent preaching in Diboll for Bro. Strong when we were just getting 'started'. He's always been a lover of young ministers. Thanks for sharing this with us.
Love you!!!
Great analogy! I love the picture of Bro. Strong taking notes. Wow!
Wonderful! I will share this with a few I know!
Love you! Deb from B
Great post! I love the "old" and the "young" preacher. It makes it even more special to know that it was Darla's son preaching. :-)
Sis Elms your post ministered to my soul this morning. I sat and read as tears streamed down my face as I can so relate to what you are saying. Our elders are so full of wisdom and have imparted such awesome knowledge to the younger generations. My husband is studying to be in the ministry and this post speaks volumes to my soul today.. Thank you..
Beautifully written.....as always!! It should be published. In our district & national magazines!!!! Older ministers sometimes feel "washed-up.". NOT SO!!! So much wisdom/knowledge yet to be imparted. Oh that every young minister will have "ears to hear."
You are all so kind! THANK YOU for reading my blog. I want to be a blessing to those who "stop by to visit". Blessings to you all!
Wonderful post and of course, it is VERY well said!!!
Post a Comment