THIRTY-SIX YEARS ago tonight I married the man I've been in love with since I was TWELVE!!! I remember when I first saw him. I had gone to Stockton, CA for the annual concert at the Civic Auditorium downtown. I was in the lobby when I saw him. From that day till now I have loved him. Keith would get so mad at me because I wouldn't date anyone else, but my mind was made up! I had seen the guy I would marry! From 12 years old to 14 years old, Wendell never knew I existed, then at the 1967 California Youth Convention in San Diego, the day I had been waiting for, happened! I was running from another guy, so I asked Keith if I could walk with him to the car to put his saxophone away. Being the good brother he was he said, "Of course. Come on!" When we got to his car he saw Wendell at his car putting HIS saxophone away. Keith said, "Well, there's Wendell", and before I knew it he yelled, "Hey, Wendell! Let my sister walk with you back to the auditorium!!!" I nearly DIED!!! :) Being the "shy" girl that I was I could have "killed" my brother. I said, "I'm not walking in there with him. I don't even know him!" He said, "Go on! You can go with him!" Well, as I was walking towards him I thought my heart would jump right out of my chest! When we got in the building I asked him if he would stand there and talk to me, because "so and so" was watching me! How did I even have the NERVE? LOL! He answered me and he said, "Why don't you walk with me over here? We'll go talk to some friends." So....that was the beginning of our "courtship days". I couldn't actually go on a "date" with him, because I had to be 16 before I could "date", but I could be in the same group with him. It seemed every time I saw him, I kept falling deeper and deeper in love.
During the week at the Youth Convention we had a big group to "run around with" and there was an older girl who wasn't married. She was friends with all of us. We had so much fun with Phyllis. She made sure we were all chaperoned properly. One night after service several cars full of young people decided to go to Mt. Helix to see the beautiful lights of San Diego. I was riding in the car behind the one Wendell was driving. He was always doing something to have a lot of fun, so when a "squirrel" decided to run out in front of "Phyllis' car", he swerved to hit it! He was in for a SURPRISE! It wasn't a squirrel! It was a SKUNK! LOL! From that night on I collected all kinds of SKUNKS! People would go on a trip and bring me a skunk souvenir. I had them all over my room, on top of my curtains and anywhere they would fit. :) When I got married I told Mother to "just get rid of them" since I couldn't take them with me on the evangelistic field. But, the other day when I was going through boxes, I came across a "family of skunks" that I had, before we got married!!! I was so excited! They found their new home on my bookshelves in my living room!
I have so many stories to tell, and I'm sure others do too, but just let me say that my love has only grown for the man I married so long ago! He has proven to be more than I could have ever dreamed when I was 12 years old.
Tonight we got to celebrate 36 years of marriage with our good friends Bobby and Glenda Stanley. We went to P.F. Chang's and had a delicious meal, then drove through Braum's and got ice cream. And, as is our custom...we couldn't go home until it was all gone!
I'm looking forward to MANY MORE YEARS married to the man of "my dreams"! Wendell, I LOVE YOU MORE EVERYDAY!!
35 comments:
Congratulations you two!! I remember the night!! I was..what? the guest book attendant?? I can't remember. I think that was it. I wore a yellowish gold dress and the bridesmaids had on pale green dresses. (I think I gave you a skunk or two)....those were the days.....
THANK YOU, GAYLA! I'm sure you gave me a few skunks, too! LOL! We had fun during those days, didn't we? :) So long ago....yet seems like only yesterday!
Glad y'all had a great day.
That was the youth conference when I was born! LOL!! I didn't know that until now.
Happy Anniversary!
Yes, Karla it was! I was going to mention that, but didn't. That's when we got to conference and everyone was talking about the Layne's having a "BIG BABY GIRL" (since you weighed 11lb. 7oz) and they had nick-named Daddy and Mother, Abraham and Sarah! LOL! They were all of 34 and 36!!!!! Sure different from today. I was 2 months from turning 14. I have always just said "14" since it was so close to my birthday! :)
Your romance stories made me laugh!!!! I needed that tonight. Congratulations on your anniversary. Love you...
Tracie, I'm glad I could bring a little JOY to your heart and mind! Love you!
Happy Anniversary! Yum, PF Changs!! Glad you had a good time.
Thank you, Gene! I wish you and Karla could have been here.
Happy anniversary! I've heard your love story before, but I loved reading it again. It is so sweet. Glad yall had a wonderful evening!
Thank you, Michelle! We had a great time. Love you!
Happy Anniversary! I love you both bunches!
Oh brother...the skunks! LOL They were everywhere.
Well, I could really tell some more stories about your courtship days but I will refrain. :)
Happy Anniversary!!!
Happy Anniversary. Glad you had a good time.
Congratulations! I am sure that my folks could add a couple of stories! LOL!! God bless you guys!
Sis Elms,
Thank you for the story. I'm sitting here at work smiling because it was like a fairy tale. You are both wonderful people and tell Bro. Elms he caught the best.
Love and miss ya'll
Denalou Trumps
Cute love story! I have heard some of if before, but I don't think I have ever heard about the skunks! LOL!
Happy Anniversary, Bro. & Sis. Elms!
I love hearing that story Sister Elms! Yours and Sister Karla's just never seem to get old! I feel like a child hearing that bedtime story for the 1 billionth time but loving it as if it were the first! I finally began my own blog and stopped putting off saying I would do it when i had more time! I love you and thank God you're safe! (Pardon my picture! There are not many descent ones on my computer just yet.)
Happy Anniversary, and may you have many more wonderful years together.
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY to a wonderful couple!!! Love you!
Happy Anniverary to a wonderful couple. I enjoyed reading about how you and Bro. Elms' relationship began. I always like to hear about how people meet. I met my wonderful wife at a conference at her church. I was not looking for a girlfriend at the time, but I saw her singing in the choir and I said, "I am gonna marry that girl". She was beautiful, singing her heart out. About three months later we started dating, and three years later we were married. Isn't it awesome how we meet our companions at church events. That is the best way to meet people. People who are of like precious faith.
Congratulations!!! I suppose Brenda and I are the happiest next to you all that you two found each other! I hav enjoyed watching the two of you still so in love after all these years! I have a wonderful home and husband thanks to the examples we have had in our life!!!! I love you both and wish you many many many more!!!!!!!!!!
Wonderful "Fairy tale". Happy Anniversary and many more. This is witness to the world around you!
Well, Happy Anniversary! You're a precious couple that has meant so much to Harden and I!!! I wish you both many more happy times together because y'all certainly deserve it!
Wow! What a cute story. I loved it! Congratulations!
Happy Anniversary, Bro. and Sis. Elms! Isn't the Lord good to give us the desires of our heart? I'm glad you had a wonderful evening!
Happy Anniversary!!!!!
Sister Elms!!! I require your assistence. I have made a slideshow on rockyou.com but cannot figure out how to get it from there to my blog!!! Any help would be greatly appreciated! Love you!
Happy Happy Anniversary!! Hope you had a wonderful day. Love you...
Congratulations!!! We want to said Happy Anniversary to both of you!
Susanne & family
Happy Belated Anniversary! You are a match made in heaven.
P.S. Thanks for all your prayers for my mom.
I love my friends! You are all wonderful! I appreciate all the well wishes, and congratulations, and your kind words. I'm glad I got to enjoy our anniversary with you! Love you all!
Happy Anniversary, I am glad you all have a wonderful time, I can see the love you have for one another, I enjoyed the stories, GOD BLESS from Arizona,
Happy Anniversary!! I always remember it every year. We had so much fun preparing for it...showers, etc. The wedding was absolutely beautiful and you were gorgeous!! (as always) I'm so glad I was a part of your celebration and that you are my friend. Congratulations on 36 years!! Love you!!
Happy Anniversary to both of you. I love you... dearly.
Awwwwww....... that was soooo sweet! Congratulations and Happy Anniversary! I think I actually have some photos around here of your wedding, believe it or not. I loved this story. I am, after all, a romantic at heart. May you both be blessed with many more years together!
Thank you EVERYONE! You are all sweet and I love you!
Mandy, you make me proud to be your "Mom". You're a great wife to Andrew and I'm glad he chose you!
Ronda, thank you for the Congratulations! You can keep the stories to youself! LOL! Love you!
Post a Comment