As you all know, I have been raised in the "United Pentecostal Church International", and I have experienced all it has to "offer". From my point of view, whether it means anything or not, the UPCI has been a great tool of "spreading the Gospel to the whole world"! We have missionary's all over the world who have been "screened" and "passed" by the Foreign Missions Board, and when our missionary's go to the field we can have confidence that they are "good men and women of God". I know there are those who LOVE to find fault with the "way we do things", but if they have a "better way", it would be nice to know it. This "way" has been effective for many, many years, and has been successful.
When a church "comes open" for a Pastor, when called upon, a UPCI representative will meet with the church board submitting names of those who are available to pastor, and are seeking the will of God for their life. The church will be praying and fasting for the will of God for their church, and through a process of "seeing and hearing men of God" the church can decide if they want to vote on that man or not. When the will of God is accomplished, the church can go forward knowing they have done the right thing, and will see revival! I think it's a pretty good system and it has worked for years!
But, there is one thing that REALLY bothers me about the UPCI! I hope you will hear me out!
Because of the thousands of people all over the world who belong to our organization, there is something that really "bothers me"! Don't stop reading now!
UPCI, WE HAVE A PROBLEM! We have meetings we go to where there are so many people, and there is just no way to meet them all! Yes, we have met many through the years who are still "acquaintances". There are people my husband and I have spoken to through the years, but, we've never had a chance to really "get to know them". Yet, in some "strange way" we still feel "connected". One of the highlights of these "great gatherings" is getting to be with our friends! Of course, we never have enough time to be with them during our "once a year" conference. I do want to say that if it wasn't for this special time we would very seldom get to see them.
Then, there is our family! Now, that's another story. They are spread from one ocean to the other! Most all of them are in the ministry, licensed with the UPCI, and their schedules are FULL, because of their church schedules, preaching engagements, and special functions of this organization! Do we get to see them through the year? On rare occasion. Really, about the only time we get to be with "most of the family" is at General Conference. We will have a "family reunion lunch", then it's over. A few of us will get together at different times throughout the conference, but not for long!
UPCI you have caused our PROBLEM! YOU have given us all of these conferences, camp meetings, youth camps, rallies and sectional conferences, and made it possible for us to "MAKE FRIENDS"! How could you do this to us?
Don't you know it would be EASIER to stay in our own "little worlds" and not have the FRUSTRATION of wanting to be with the ones we have grown to love through the years? Don't you know it would be EASIER if we didn't have a chance to MEET those from "other places", like Prince Edward Island, Maine, Nova Scotia, New York, California, Colorado, Africa, Europe, New Mexico, Canada, Michigan, Argentina......on and on it goes, reaching around the world! UPCI, how could you cause us such problems?
Soon, in just a few weeks, we will be gathering for another one of those "bothersome conferences". We will have to schedule our times of visiting around the preaching, singing, and being in the presence of God, and worshipping with those of "like precious faith". What a shame that you have caused us to "have to figure out a way to see all of our friends"! But, I'm so glad you have given us this "problem"!
I want to say THANK YOU for all the times we have been able to go, and be a part of "something bigger than our own surroundings". THANK YOU for giving us a little taste of what Heaven will be like. If we were living in a "perfect world" then we would never be separated from those we love. So, one of the things I am looking forward to when I get to Heaven is, "we will never have to say goodbye to our friends and loved ones"!
Yes, you have let us down in this "one thing", but you can't help it, and neither can we.
P.S. I hope to see all of my "blogger friends" at conference this year! Please, whatever you do, while you go "flying by" on your way to meet with friends, or family, just wave and say, "HI"! :)
Special Note: Thank you Wendell for giving me this thought today. Love you!
13 comments:
Great post!!! Get out your calendar right now and make a note...Call Jerry Ann and Ron when we get to Greensboro and make a time to get together. You are busy with family and friends, but ot too busy I hope to connect for a short time of fellowship. I miss you... We will arrive Monday night and not leave until Monday morning. Our anniversary (46) will be the Sunday of Conference. (Oct. 19, 1962)
Pray for Landon. He is home but not doing well. I am leaving a week early(Mon 26th) to go home and help Ronna out with his care.
Love you....
Ok, you've posted about something Kent and I have talked about, too. Remedy the problem and plan a time that all of us 'bloggers' can get together at conference and eat and visit. If you plan it for an afternoon you should be able to find a place for 40 or more people easily! Love you
LOL!! I'm sure this title has grabbed the immediate attention of most people!!!
I must say I agree! What a problem this causes. LOL!!
See you in a couple weeks at the wedding.
Yeah, I'm sure some people thought this was really going to be an eye opener about the bad of the UPCI...! Sorry! The UPCI is the best thing going as far as I am concerned. Keep up the good work! (I'm not a blogger, but I sure do enjoy those of you who are!)
Love ya!
Very well said Aunt Linda, I couldn't agree more.
My heart dropped when I saw your post title and started reading; however, my spirit was soaring upon completion. In total agreement! Great post.
LOVE, LOVE this post! You snagged me early on. :)
LOL! You better save me just of few of those precious moments at Conference. :) Loved this post!
Ditto Karen Hopper's comment! :D Great Post Title!!! Awesome Post!!! We need to be busy about our Father's business. We can party forever when we get to Heaven.
I won't be at conference this year, again. Last year was the 1st year I had missed in a long while. I have finals that week so my hubby will be going it alone, again. And I understand... my family is scattered about the country and world all because of the UPC!! :)
Great post! I think all of us agree with your post. General conference is the only time I get to see a lot of our family. They are scattered everywhere, invovlved in the work of the Lord!
Jerry Ann, we would love to enjoy some "time" visiting at conference!
Tracie, I think it would be so much fun to have a "blogger's connect point". Let's give the job of getting it together to ......um.....let's see. Anyone want to volunteer? Seriously, if ya'll come up with a place and plan it let me know!
I'm glad you ALL enjoyed this post, and I'm REALLY happy I didn't "offend" any of you. LOL!
Post a Comment