Seven years ago today Keith, my brother was taken from this life. (picture is Keith and his wife Ginger) Never did I ever dream I would be left here without him. I will never forget the day Wendell rushed him to the hospital, only to find out very quickly he would have to undergo heart surgery. I always thought he would pull out of it, but he died 5 days later and my world started shaking. I knew that God doesn't put more on us than we can bear, so I placed it all in His hands and He gave me peace in the midst of loss. Keith was a great brother! Everyone loved him and as Chad (Karla's son) said one day when he saw Keith coming to my door..."Here comes Uncle Keith with all the laughs!" Yes, he was known for bringing a lot of laughter when he was around. He also had an incredible voice! No matter what style of song you gave him to sing, he sang it well. My favorite style for him to sing was always "country style". No one could put the country in the song like Keith could. When we were in a church service and began singing we always had fun. One day we were sitting together, (which was a mistake) and song service began. When they gave the page number in the songbook Keith and I decided we were going to sing the songs exactly the way they were written. You have to understand that as Pentecostals we give songs our own "twist" and sing it the way we want to, but that day, we wanted to sing them "right". That was a BIG mistake! LOL! We started singing and listening to the difference of how they were SUPPOSE to be sung and how the congregation was actually singing them, and we got tickled! I'll never forget laughing so hard that we were almost hysterical. We never let it go quite that far, because if Daddy would have "caught us" we would have been called out for sure! That was one thing you didn't want to happen! I can hear his booming voice right now as he would call our names out and say, "Keith.....Linda.....GO SIT BY YOUR MOTHER!" That wouldn't be the end of it either. We would have "gotten it" when we got home and would never do "that" again!! That is just one little story in my life, with my brother. Oh how I miss him. He would be so proud of his grandkids today! If he were here you would think no one else had any grandkids but him. LOL! Brag...brag.....brag.....! If you think I brag about mine...well....we'll just leave it at that. :) I wish I could tell him about my FOUR granddaughters. He would think they were beautiful, and so cute, and he would be RIGHT! LOL! I hope I haven't bored you with a little memory about my brother. I just felt like writing. Keith, I miss you, Wendell misses you, Jonathan and Andrew, Ronda and Karla, and all the family and thousands of friends. They still talk about you and the memories they have of you. I love you and will meet you again in the "sweet by and by". We will laugh, and sing, and talk, and laugh, and sing, and talk some more when we all gather around the throne. When the saints begin to sing I want to be standing right next to you. I get excited thinking about it!
Thursday, June 21, 2007
My Brother, My Friend
Seven years ago today Keith, my brother was taken from this life. (picture is Keith and his wife Ginger) Never did I ever dream I would be left here without him. I will never forget the day Wendell rushed him to the hospital, only to find out very quickly he would have to undergo heart surgery. I always thought he would pull out of it, but he died 5 days later and my world started shaking. I knew that God doesn't put more on us than we can bear, so I placed it all in His hands and He gave me peace in the midst of loss. Keith was a great brother! Everyone loved him and as Chad (Karla's son) said one day when he saw Keith coming to my door..."Here comes Uncle Keith with all the laughs!" Yes, he was known for bringing a lot of laughter when he was around. He also had an incredible voice! No matter what style of song you gave him to sing, he sang it well. My favorite style for him to sing was always "country style". No one could put the country in the song like Keith could. When we were in a church service and began singing we always had fun. One day we were sitting together, (which was a mistake) and song service began. When they gave the page number in the songbook Keith and I decided we were going to sing the songs exactly the way they were written. You have to understand that as Pentecostals we give songs our own "twist" and sing it the way we want to, but that day, we wanted to sing them "right". That was a BIG mistake! LOL! We started singing and listening to the difference of how they were SUPPOSE to be sung and how the congregation was actually singing them, and we got tickled! I'll never forget laughing so hard that we were almost hysterical. We never let it go quite that far, because if Daddy would have "caught us" we would have been called out for sure! That was one thing you didn't want to happen! I can hear his booming voice right now as he would call our names out and say, "Keith.....Linda.....GO SIT BY YOUR MOTHER!" That wouldn't be the end of it either. We would have "gotten it" when we got home and would never do "that" again!! That is just one little story in my life, with my brother. Oh how I miss him. He would be so proud of his grandkids today! If he were here you would think no one else had any grandkids but him. LOL! Brag...brag.....brag.....! If you think I brag about mine...well....we'll just leave it at that. :) I wish I could tell him about my FOUR granddaughters. He would think they were beautiful, and so cute, and he would be RIGHT! LOL! I hope I haven't bored you with a little memory about my brother. I just felt like writing. Keith, I miss you, Wendell misses you, Jonathan and Andrew, Ronda and Karla, and all the family and thousands of friends. They still talk about you and the memories they have of you. I love you and will meet you again in the "sweet by and by". We will laugh, and sing, and talk, and laugh, and sing, and talk some more when we all gather around the throne. When the saints begin to sing I want to be standing right next to you. I get excited thinking about it!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
16 comments:
Oh, my....has it been 7 years already?
Keith was a "big" man. Not only in stature, but in heart.
I always think of him every December 9th and will never forget him and the good times we all had in Fresno.
Gayla
It's hard to beleive it has been 7 years. I know this has been a difficult week for you. You are in my prayers. We are enjoying seeing Karla and Gene at our camp.
"Won't we have a time, when we get over yonder. Won't we have a time when we get over yonder. Won't we have a time when we get over yonder. Oh, won't we have a time."
It is exciting thinking about being with our Saviour, but also our loved ones whom we sorely miss. It's wonderful you have the great memories to sustain you until then.
I didn't know Keith well, but I did meet him in 1969 (oh my!) at Gateway. He did have a great voice. We were both a part of not only the choir, but also the chorale, so I was around him a lot during the two months I was there. We practiced long hours for General Conference which was in St. Louis that year. I do remember he, as well as a few others, really was a barrel of laughs; so much fun to be around. He seemed to enjoy life and was well liked by all.
I know you miss him, but again ... you do have great memories.
Love you ... Kathy
Gayla, yes it has been 7 long years. Thank you for remembering him with me.
Jerry Ann, thank you. You're always so thoughtful. I'm glad ya'll are having a good time.
Kathy, I never knew about you going to college with Keith! My word...it's a small world. You learn something new everyday!! Thank you for writing memories about him.
Well, wouldn't it be great if he walked in here right now and gave me one of those BIG BEAR HUGS and said,"well, lil' sister, how ya doin'? How's Nathan treating you?" He was always so fun and complimentary (unless we put on to much weight). lol He was the BEST brother a girl could have.
www.iluv2prshim.wordpress.com
Yes Ronda, it would be great to feel his big arms around us saying goofy-sweet things like, "Well,
h-e-l-l-o beautiful!" :) He did have a way of making you feel like you were the only one around. What a great brother!
Yes, we miss having Keith around to laugh at! Great blog, honey, about a great guy!
Thanks Babe! You're sweet! I love you. Also, thank you for falling in love with Keith's "little sister". I'll be forever grateful.
He was a truly great man. my fondest memories was at senior camp and campmeeting when he, Ginger and I sang together while carmen(my Carmen) was holding their Carmen in her lap. He always made you feel that you could do anything. He ain't never done me nothing but good.
Thank God for the memories that we have of our loved ones! Heaven's sounding sweeter.
Everyday I am discovering how SMALL the world really is. To think Kathy knew Keith 38 years ago - and now Andrew KEITH is married to Kathy's neice!!! Unbelievable!
I concur with Linda and Ronda - he was an awesome brother. Thanks for the memories.
It is hard to believe that he has been gone that long.
I remember the good 'ol days at youth camp when he and Ginger were the choir directors! That was the best of times!!!
James, thank you for writing about Keith and Ginger. I know you loved them both and they loved you.
Carla...yes, heaven gets sweeter all the time.
Karla, it is a SMALL world after all! It's unreal how life puts everything together.
Lori, I guess I didn't realize you were also in Keith's choirs and Youth Camps! WOW! Thank you for writing and sharing your memories of Keith and Ginger. Love you!
Occasionally, I think of the death of Keith...and of your mom...and of your dad, and it seems impossible.
A better day is coming! Around the throne, walking golden streets in a land where there is no sadness, tears, disappointment, fear or death.
Come, Lord Jesus! I love you and your entire family, truly feeling that my life has been enriched by "rubbing shoulders" with such a family.
Love,
Shirley Buxton
Help! Please remove one of those comments. I thought the first one had not posted. So sorry.
But then, by these multiple posts, you know how much I mean what I say! :)
Sis. Buxton, thank you for writing about my family. We all love you and Bro. Buxton. I am looking forward to that wonderful day when we all meet again! Love you!
Post a Comment