Friday, June 29, 2007

Windstorms, Flooding and Evacuation

I wanted to give a quick update on our situation as of 11:40 tonight. This morning at 12:30 we decided to go take a drive to see how much Wichita River had risen, so by the time we got back to the house we had decided we should go ahead and pack some clothes and leave our house. Just as we were pulling out of the drive-way a policeman came to our car and said, "We are going through the neighborhood advising folks to evacuate tonight. If you want to get out, now is the time to do it." We thanked him and left. This afternoon we needed to go back to the house for a few items and was told it would be fine to drive to the house, "just be careful". By the time we left, about 15-20 minutes later, the same policeman told us that she hoped we had gotten everything we needed, because they had just received a call that no one could go into the neighborhood for anything unless it was an emergency vehicle. So, we were fine with that, then a few hours later I called a neighbor to see how things were going and they told me that the electricity had gone off and there was a "mandatory evacuation". A little later they did allow Bro. Elms to go into the house for about 15 minutes to get some things, but the only way for him to get there was for one of the city trucks to take him in. At that time, some of the houses down from us was flooded with about 4-5 feet of water!! Our home sits much higher than a lot of the neighborhood just a block away, so we are thinking we might be fine. I just feel so bad for the ones who are suffering from the rising water. There is a lot of flooding in our city so I wanted to show you some pictures of what has been happening. I have also included the pictures I took after the 90 mile an hour winds the other day! Usually by this time of year we are burning up from the heat. This year, the weather has been so cool. Note: Just since I have been working on this post Bro. Elms called the Emergency Contact number and they said the water is now rising less than an inch a minute. It was rising 2 inches a minute for several hours today. Maybe it will stop rising soon and start going down! Thank you all for your prayers and notes of support. Bro. Kenny and Sis. Rita came by this afternoon and gave us some moral support and we appreciate that so much. Others have called to check on us. Thank you! You are all so special and we love you!

4 comments:

Karla said...

This is just so unbelievable!! Glad you took the pictures - it's hard to imagine.

Love y'all!

Gene Holley said...

WOW! That is unreal. A flood like this is so rare. We are praying that the water doesn't reach your house. Stay safe.

Lynda said...

I am so glad that you posted. I saw that your road had been evacuated. I have been praying for you guys. Glad you are safe.

Keith and Carla said...

Unbelievable! In all of my years in Wichita Falls (31 to be exact), I don't ever remember anything like this!!! I will say (on a positive note) everything is so green - kind of looks like East Texas. Praying that everyone there is safe. Love you!