Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Dead Long Enough?

While listening to a radio preacher today, I heard him ask a question that startled my thinking. I was going about my morning when I heard it. The question jolted my mind and a flurry of thoughts began. I can hear your inquisitive mind...What was his question? Here it is..."Has Abraham Lincoln been dead long enough so that he's almost everybody's hero?" Ummmm....the question that hit my mind was, "WHY DOES SOMEONE HAVE TO DIE BEFORE WE REALIZE WHAT A WONDERFUL PERSON THEY ARE?"

There are many heroes today, yet so many times we don't think of them as such. Why?  One answer I came up with is...most everyone has been disappointed at times over a fallen "hero" in their life. Yes, when someone you revere does something that shatters their world, and yours, you are afraid to trust anyone else. Let me say, it may be hard to "trust again", but you must realize... EVERYONE HASN'T FALLEN! If we would stop and look around us, we would see there are still heroes walking among us.  Just look at it...To every "one hero" that disappoints you, there are hundreds of others who are still standing for the right, fighting for the cause, and making right choices. There are still those who have strong moral values, and live their lives according to the principles of godliness and holiness. There are still those who have purposed to be pure in heart, working diligently to please our precious Lord. As they please Him, they are exampling to us what it's like to be like Him. If we would get out of our questioning and critical mind set that we have allowed, because we were disappointed sometime in life, we just might see where these heroes are leaving footprints in the sand for us to follow. 

Everyone needs at least one hero! Your hero may be someone very few people know. Your hero may be a prayer warrior who prays until they receive their answer. Your hero may be a preacher who is on the front line with the sword of The Lord in one hand, and the staff of the shepherd in the other. Your hero may be the little lady sitting over to the side that smiles when you walk by. Yes, everyone should have a hero. They need someone they can look up to and say, "I want to be just like them!" Don't let the fickleness of those who can't walk a straight line give you a skewed vision of the TRUE HERO.

As I've watched heroes through the years I observed one central theme: A hero never knows he or she is a hero, because they do not focus on who THEY are...they focus on the TRUE HERO of all time...Jesus Christ. You can trust someone who has their foundation in Christ alone.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: