This morning when I learned of the Homegoing of Bro. Treece, my mind started racing back through time when I was a teenager and my brother Keith, and I sang in a trio with Bobbie Shoemake. The Conqueror's Quartet came to California to tour and Bobbie had been asked to tour with them. She asked Keith and me to go along and sing with her. I remember the big bus the Conqueror's Quartet traveled in and feeling really special when I was invited to look inside! We traveled from San Diego to Stockton and made a lot of memories...Great memories that have stayed with me all of my life!
After Wendell and I married we evangelized. We then had our first son, Jonathan. Jonathan was about two years old when we went to Lake Charles to preach for Bro. and Sis. Treece. Oh, we had FUN! The Treece's thought Jonathan was the cutest little guy they had seen (besides their own son, Ricky) and they had many laughs over him. Bro. Treece taught Jonathan to "howl like a coon dog" then he would throw his head back and really laugh when he did. It was SO cute! :) While there, Bro. Treece asked us to stay awhile and assist him. We were there for a short time, but I can say, for this young evangelist family, being with the Treece's was a "little Heaven on earth". Later, Bro. Treece said he wished he had prevailed on us to stay, because it wasn't too long after we left that he started having some physical problems. Down deep in our hearts we wished he had called us back. Being at their church was a beautiful time in our lives. I loved the music lead by Sis. Treece. The orchestra was awesome! I loved hearing the people testify! It was like hearing mini-sermons, because the people had a love for preaching and teaching and had applied the Word of God to their hearts. I loved hearing Bro. Treece teach and preach. And, I loved being in their home. Bro. Treece always asked for peanut butter after we had eaten. I can hear him now..."Betty, grab that jar of peanut butter, please." I thought that was so funny, because he should be full from her awesome cooking, but he HAD to have peanut butter to finish the meal.
Years later...we were pastor of Life Tabernacle and Bro. Treece came to our church to teach. I will never forget sitting on the front pew with my Mother and sister, Karla. He was teaching on Ladies Hair. He passed out some of his notes then noticed we didn't have them. He made sure the usher gave me, Mother and Karla the notes. When we looked at them we got tickled because a lot of it was in Greek! LOL! Mother started her all familiar "giggles" and I tried to hold it together, but it didn't work. The "joy of the Lord" was definitely wanting to gush forth that night.
Bro. Treece stayed in our home that week. One night we had eaten a bite and made our way to the living room to visit. While Bro. Treece talked "Greek" I looked across the living room at my husband and he was SOUND ASLEEP!!!! I tried to get his attention without looking obvious to Bro. Treece, but Wendell slept on. I must have sat there 20-30 minutes ACTING like I knew what Bro. Treece was saying. It took him the longest to realize my husband had "left this world" for another. He finally got up and said, "Well, I think I'll go to bed." (something like that) Oh me! I was so happy to say goodnight! I never felt so "unlearned" in all my life and I wanted to "choke" my husband for leaving ME to understand it all. Bro. Treece must have thought I was grasping what he was saying because he talked, and talked, and talked! He never acted like I was "dumb"! That's what I call a GREAT man! LOL! I told him about it later and like before, he threw his head back and laughed that contagious laugh that I'll always remember.
Every year the Treece family made a Christmas card, we received one. There has always been a note from them saying how much they enjoyed us being in Lake Charles with them. They have no idea what a blessing it was for US! Being with great people of God, who makes you feel loved is just is one of the greatest joys you can experience "down here".
I know Heaven has been rejoicing today because one of God's mighty men has made it home. No longer to suffer in this life, but to sing around the throne worshiping the King! I'm sure that Charley, Kenneth, Bro. Ewing, and Keith were waiting just inside the gate. I can hear them now as they see him..."Come on over here, Bro. Treece! Let's sing...." Yes...the Conqueror's Quartet is singing better than they ever did here on earth...and to tell you the truth...I'm just a little "jealous" they're all together, singing, telling jokes, and laughing again without me there to listen.
1 comment:
I remember him when I first got in church before I even had the Holy Ghost, Before June 1988:
He was the first one to say that he was going to TREACH,some of us didnt know what that meant so this is how he explained it: he was gonna teach a little and yell a little, He was gonna teach and preach
Wow another Warrior has gone to where we are all striving to go.
God Bless,
Cher
Post a Comment