Friday, February 04, 2011

Sing Me A Song

Tonight I am sitting in my recliner with a fire in the fireplace that my sweet husband has kept going for several hours. It's COLD outside and for the last few days it seems the world around us has fallen asleep. Every now and then I see a bird come to the feeder outside my windows, but I haven't seen a squirrel in several days. Usually, they are at the feeder we put out for them, but not in this freezing weather. Before the freezing temperatures hit they came and filled their little tummy's, so I'm sure they are snuggled up in their warm "houses" waiting for things to thaw a bit before returning for more food.

While getting ready to turn in for the night, somewhere from the depth of my memory a chorus came to mind that I love to sing. I haven't heard it in a LONG time, and really wonder if anyone remembers it. It goes like this:

Just when I need someone to tell my troubles to.
Just when I feel down hearted and blue.
Just when it seems that I can't make it through.
Jesus hears and answers prayer.


I am not a "whiny-feel-sorry-for-me-type person", yet sometimes I need to be reminded that Jesus really does "hear and answer prayer". Right now as I type, I'm sure someone is wondering if I am "down", so before I go on let me put your minds at ease. I am FINE! In fact, I couldn't be more contented right now. I've got so much to be thankful for!

Now that I have made sure about that, I'll continue...

Some years ago I started hearing people say negative things about some of the songs we had sung for years. These people were not from our church, but some I happened to be around from time to time. They would say things like, "When we go to church we don't want to hear songs about people's problems and pain. We have enough of our own. We want to hear songs that lift us up and make us feel good." Although I do understand what they were saying, and at times have felt the same way, as I look back down the road we have traveled in life, I'm thinking that we might have left some of our "treasured songs" buried in the past. I have heard these songs referred to as "Story Songs" (said with a little smirk) Well...life is a story that is unfolding every day and we understand "stories". A story might be in a book, or in a song, and people understand and relate to "songs that tell a story". I love a lot of our Praise and Worship choruses of today, so I am not writing about "old vs. new". I enjoy a good up-beat song and different styles, but we must be careful that we're not singing a song that appeals to our carnality and surface feelings. Songs that touch the inner most part of our spirits and draws us closer to Jesus Christ is what we need to hear. We ought to "lift Jesus up" in the songs we sing, and we need to realize that people need to hear songs that tell them that Jesus knows and understands what they are going through.

Got any rivers you think are uncrossable?
Got any mountains you can't tunnel through?
God specializes in things thought impossible.
And He will do what no other power can do!


I have watched people with heavy hearts touched by the words and music of this chorus. Upon entering the doors of the sanctuary someone felt like they couldn't take another step, but as they sang and worshiped the One that "specializes in things thought impossible" I saw their load lifted.

Many things about tomorrow;
I don't seem to understand.
But I know Who holds tomorrow;
And I know Who holds my hand.


We all go through times of struggle and wonder if we're going to make it. We should not try to "gloss over" the FACT that people are facing terrible situations and they do not know what's going to happen. It's so easy for us to look at someone and become a "judge" and decide that "Their problem isn't all that bad. If they would have done "such and such" they wouldn't be going through so much." Yes, on and on it goes. People trying to be God and thinking they know how everyone else should act/react. OUCH! Where did that come from? Let's all be honest with OURSELVES and confess that we are GUILTY of becoming "the judge" at least once in our lives. :-)

In the dark of the midnight have I oft hid my face,
While the storm howls above me, and there's no hiding place.
'Mid the crash of the thunder, Precious Lord, hear my cry,
Keep me safe till the storm passes by.

Chorus
Till the storm passes over, till the thunder sounds no more,
Till the clouds roll forever from the sky;
Hold me fast, let me stand in the hollow of Thy hand,
Keep me safe till the storm passes by.

Many times Satan whispered, "There is no need to try,
For there's no end of sorrow, there's no hope by and by"
But I know Thou art with me, and tomorrow I'll rise
Where the storms never darken the skies.

When the long night has ended and the storms come no more,
Let me stand in Thy presence on the bright peaceful shore;
In that land where the tempest, never comes, Lord, may I
Dwell with Thee when the storm passes by.


Storms! Storms can scare you nearly to death! I have been in some terrible "thunder and lightning" storms and wondered if the high wind was going to destroy our house. On the other hand, I've been in our car with no other shelter when the skies turned dark and threatening. My brother, Keith, Wendell and I were traveling one time when all of a sudden a "storm came up" and almost before we knew it we were on the edge of a tornado. All traffic stopped on the highway afraid to go any further. As we sat there, the winds became so fierce that we were afraid of flying objects coming through the windows of the car and we felt the power of the wind lifting our car. Yes, I've been in some pretty scary "weather storms", but they do not compare to some of the "life storms" we've been through.

Everyone I know has gone through "life storms". Some of them were not as fierce as others, but ALL were storms, and whoever is in the storm wants to know that "it will pass" and all will be calm, again. The song above says: "But I know Thou art with me, and tomorrow I'll rise; where the storms never darken the skies." What a peace fills my heart when I hear these words! He is with me! I am not alone! He will bring me THROUGH the storm! It's not just another song...it's a "story about life, and Jesus, and knowing He will take care of me".

Whether we sing a "new song or old", we need to make sure the song we're singing has a "message" and it's not just "feel good words". A few weeks ago I wrote a "blog post" about songs I remember. Later a friend left a comment and I quote: "I love these songs! The first church I attended in Texico sang out of the song book all the time. These songs remind me of when God started to change my life, and they will always be precious to me." Thank you, Michelle. I couldn't say it any better!

Worship leaders...I invite you to step out of the norm. When you are preparing to lead worship through song, please don't choose a song or chorus just because it's "a song everyone is talking about". Don't choose it because you had a friend tell you that "this song will bring the glory down". Don't choose a song just because "it's the newest rage". Be sure and choose songs that come from a heart of thankfulness, and a knowledge of how God will come through for those who are sitting in your congregation needing to hear "He will take care of them". Choose songs after you have been in prayer and have a fresh touch of His Spirit resting on you. Choose songs that will minister first to HIM and then to those who are hurting. And...you just might want to reach WAY back and choose a song that was sung many years ago, but it's message is still NEW today.

I love to tell how Jesus saved my soul;
When I was lost and facing dark despair.
But mortal tongue could scarcely tell the whole;
Nor thank Him for such wondrous love and care.

Oh, He is more than all the world to me;
The dearest friend that I have ever known.
And it will take the whole eternity;
To thank Him for the love that He has shown.

9 comments:

Kathy McElhaney said...

Love this post! The "songs about people's problems and pain" aren't downers when you heard the end of the story. Jesus answers prayer... God specializes in things thought impossible... He holds my hand...

Those sound like mighty positive words to me.

Anonymous said...

As always, you have once again blessed, inspired and challenged us through your annoited words. God bless and keep you.

Kassie said...

Great post! Love the part to the worship leaders. I agree 100%!

Michelle said...

Thanks for this post, what a blessing it was to me.

Linda Elms said...

@Kathy, I agree! Thank you for writing!

Linda Elms said...

@Anonymous....thanks! So kind of you to write and say such nice thing. Blessings....

Linda Elms said...

@Kassie, thank you! You have blessed me many times with your worship in song. Love you more than you know!

Linda Elms said...

@Michelle, your comment the other day helped with my "thought". Thank you! Love you!

Ron and Jerry Ann Guidroz said...

What a wonderful post!!! I remember every one of those songs. They still bless me in my private times of devotion. Ron and I were singing just this week as we drove along,
"He whispers sweet peace to me. Yes, He whisper to me. When I am cast down in body and soul, He whispers sweet peace to me."
There are some classics with such meaning that we just cannot bury forever.