Sunday, September 26, 2010

General Conference Time

We are finally at the threshold of the week we have all been preparing for. I've listened to ladies talk about going shopping, and listened to them as they said they couldn't find anything in the stores this year. Being one that does not like to shop, it takes everything in me to go to the mall. I had to go this year for a few things, and had to go by myself. Through the years I've enjoyed my sister Karla going with me, but this year it wasn't possible to do our "two day shopping trip". We did get to shop for a couple of hours in Wichita Falls when I went to a wedding a few weeks ago, and we had a good time. Karla "makes me" try on clothes that I would never take off the rack. When I have to go by myself I hear her voice. "Linda, you don't know if it's going to fit or not if you DON'T put it on! You never know...it just might work!" :) It's nice having a "baby sister" that loves to tell the "older sister" what to do! Anyway, I don't know where all that is leading as I type, but before I get too deep in the middle of "sibling love" I will move on.

General Conference is almost HERE! To be honest, of which I am all the time anyway, I didn't want conference to be in Houston! I have nothing against Houston, but I love to travel two or three days to get to conference. Since it's in Houston we only get to travel a couple of hours and we're there! Also, it's been HOT here in East Texas up until today! I haven't been in the mood to put on "fall clothes" since it's been so hot. Who wants to wear "fall clothes" when it's in the 90's and above? Not me! Besides, the humidity that lingers in the air is enough to suffocate anyone who is brave enough to step outside! Talk about being transparent! I'm going to get in trouble from the Houstonians that just might read my blog. Now...let me make myself and everyone else feel better!

Earlier in the evening I looked outside and saw the trees waving in the wind. That was a strange sight here in East Texas, but the wind had picked up over the afternoon. I had been hearing about the beautiful weather that had come in north of us, so I imagined that the wind was "blowing out the heat" and bringing some cool air to us. After a few hours I stepped outside. What a WELCOME I got!!!! There was a cool breeze blowing, and the temperature had dropped to 68-70 degrees! FALL had arrived!!!!! It was wonderful to step outside and not "smother" from the humidity and heat!

I've been checking the weather for Houston off and on this week. My "weather sources" are showing it's going to be a beautiful, sunshiny, week. If the weather man is right, it's going to be in the mid 80's during the day and will drop about 20 degrees in the evening. They are also saying there is going to be zero precipitation!!!! For those who do not live in this area you might not understand the importance of ZERO PRECIPITATION! But, please take it from me...if it rains in TEXAS...it's not a sprinkle or two. If it's going to rain, it's most likely going to be a GULLY-WASHER and there is no way to stay dry if you have to be in and out of buildings! So, just to let anyone know that may be wondering if I'm feeling better about conference being close by...I'm feeling pretty good about now! :) I really don't think I've ever been as relaxed about packing. The way I see it is, if I happen to leave something at home that I DESPERATELY NEED, I only have two hours to drive home to get it!

I am really looking forward to seeing all my family and friends. When we get to be in one place at the same time, my heart is HAPPY! When I see those I have not seen for a long time, it's like a big "family reunion" and that makes me HAPPY! When I step inside that huge auditorium where the best music you have ever heard is playing, and the singers start singing, I'm HAPPY! When I hear the voices of thousands of people as they worship Jesus Christ, King above all kings, I'm HAPPY! Then to top off the service, I have the privilege of hearing some great, anointed preaching, and my soul is HAPPY! When we make our way through the crowd with friends or family, and can barely get out the door because the ones you are with, and ourselves, get stopped by so many people that it takes us a LONG time to get out and go eat, I'm HAPPY! The closest thing to realizing what it's going to be like when we all get to Heaven has got to be when people from all over the world come together for the UNITED PENTECOSTAL CHURCH INTERNATIONAL GENERAL CONFERENCE! Yes, I'm HAPPY just thinking about it!

So...back to the stress of the shopping trips I've heard about and experienced. It doesn't matter to me whether you have on a new outfit or not. It's just going to be good seeing you! Your smile, your hug, and the warm hello's is all that really matters to me.

So....YA'LL HURRY UP AND GET HERE, because we're going to have a wonderful time, and I can't wait to see you!

4 comments:

Karla said...

EXCITED!!!!

p.s. - Maybe we'll have to shop in Houston! LOL!

Linda Elms said...

LOL! You never know! :-).

Karen said...

Are you sure you are not my ghost writer? That's exactly how I feel! Only I can't put it all into the wonderful words that you use!! Shopping AND conference!
AND packing!! Love ya! See you there. I'll be in the mass choir on Wednesday night so be sure and look for me on the big screen!! Ha!

Linda Elms said...

Karen, I guess we've been friends so long that we're beginning to think alike! :-). I will definitely be looking for you on the big screen. If you don't go by too fast I'll even take your picture! LOL! Can't wait to see you! Love you!