Saturday, February 07, 2009

Stunned!

My family loves to surprise you and just "show up"! That has not happened today, but after reading a comment from "cindy s" from my last post I started thinking about the time I was so lonesome to see my parents. We had moved to North Carolina to start a church and we had no one in our church, yet. I was very lonesome. Jonathan and Andrew, our two sons were just little guys and it was a long way home to family and friends. My parents lived in Texas, and Wendell's parents lived in California!

While I was feeling very lonely, Daddy called to see what was going on and how we were doing. I told him all was well then proceeded to try to talk him and Mother into "getting on a plane" and flying to see us! He told me all the reasons he couldn't, and that he had major things he needed to take care of. I accepted his "reasons" after figuring out there was no way for me to "talk him into it". I would feel better in a few days, I was sure.

About a week before Daddy called we had been invited to some friends house, about an hour or so away. I told Daddy our plans. Being invited to have dinner and a time of fellowship was so nice, especially when you are by yourselves most of the time. It sounded great and we really needed that time together with friends.

When we arrived at their house they invited us in, and took us to the den. As we greeted everyone, and had a little time of "chit-chat", I saw the door to their "home office" open and their stood DADDY AND MOTHER! I nearly fainted and had to sit down!!!! I looked over at my husband, and our boys, and they were all just sitting there with their mouths hanging open! LOL! They spent ONE WHOLE WEEK with us and it was wonderful!

There is nothing like being lonesome and missing those from home, then "all of a sudden" they are standing in the room with you!!! Oh, the emotions that sweep through your heart and mind. I can still feel the "shock" that I felt that day, but I couldn't have been happier. God knew I NEEDED to see my parents and "there they were"! It was wonderful!

This is just another "sweet memory" that I wanted to share, and to my "new friend" who is lonely because God has moved you away from friends let me say...He will be with you. He cares and understands the sacrifice you have made. Be strong! Take courage! It will be worth it all when we see Him!

10 comments:

Ron and Jerry Ann Guidroz said...

We both are nostalgic tonight in our sharing. Thanks for the wonderful post and the beautiful picture of your folks. God is so awesome!
My love...

Tracie Smith said...

Aaahhhhh I loved your parents! They were always kind and had such warm smiles. I bet you were shocked with the great surprise. Hopefully our dear sister will find a friend near her. Love you!

Katrina Holmes (Tina) said...

Sis Elms, Your parents look so stunning. Sis. Hurst looks a lot like her mom I think.
My husband and I moved to Calgary from the east coast many years ago and all of our family are still back there. We have been lonely many times, but we wanted to stay here in this good church. Most of our holidays have been used to go home. We love it when family comes to see us though!

Karen J. Hopper said...

Enjoyed your post, and seeing Bro & Sis Layne's picture. Special, special couple who I was extremely privileged to have pastor me and my family (in California).

Anonymous said...

In your last 3 posts you have mentioned your family. Sounds like you have been missing them lately. I certainly know how you feel in that respect. The good thing is, you have church family all around you and that makes it possible to get through another day without immediate family. One of these days we can all be together all the time!! Won't it be wonderful?!!!!!! Love you!!!

Kathy McElhaney said...

Sis. Elms,
I've been reading (and enjoying) your blog for some time but have never commented. The picture of your wonderful parents brought back so many memories, I thought today it was time! You probably won't remember me, since I was only 8 when your family left Fresno, but those short years left an indelible mark on my life. Seeing your parents over the years was always a blessing to me. They were great people of God and they'll be some of the first I'll look for "in front of the throne."

janet anglin said...

What a GREAT picture of the Layne's! God brought them to you exactly whan you needed them the most. This is an awesome memory and an encouragement to others!!

iluv2prshim said...

I love this picture of Mother and Daddy. Kind of made me homesick. Well, no! It REALLY made me homesick. :) I can hardly wait for heaven when we will all be united again, never to be separated. Won't it be wonderful there?

Anonymous said...

Linda, Thank you so much for your words of encouragement, they mean more than I can say. The tears are flowing and it gets hard to see, but anyway, how wonderful that your parents were able to come and see you. They look familiar, I grew up in the state of Washington and B.C., Canada, so I probably never saw them. My dad pastored on indian reserves
The Lord really does know what we need, when I see Jesus in Glory, nothing else will matter!! the loneliness and pain will be forgotten!! Thank you, you truly made my day! Hugs, ~cindy s~

Jeanetta Orange said...

Linda, every time I read your blogs I feel so inspired,so uplifted. You have a wonderful way of reaching into the heart and soul of people with words that are truly from your heart. You're an awesome lady. Glad you're my friend and my daughter's mother-in-law. Love you