In April '04 I wondered if life would ever be right again. From 2000-2004 my sisters and I lost our "brother, mother, and father". The pain of the loss was almost more than we could stand, but we have found that "life goes on" even when you don't think it will. Yes, LIFE CHANGED and the pain of change was TERRIBLE, but God has been GOOD to us through it all! We will always miss them terribly, and at Thanksgiving and Christmas it seems to be worse than at other times, but one of these days we will be together again, and that's what keeps me LIVING!
Memories flood my heart and mind as Christmas day approaches, and a lot of them come from ME being the "grandmother"! I LOVED going to Grandma's house. She always had her Christmas tree in the corner of the living room, and when we arrived, even if it was late in the night (it was a 5 hour trip) the lights on the tree were on and there was ALWAYS a pot of "white beans" on the stove. I was so EXCITED about being at Grandma's house! She usually told me what she bought me before I could open my gift. She couldn't hardly stand the suspense of surprises. I think every Christmas of my childhood I got a doll from Grandma and Grandpa Pound. I loved my newborn babies, my black baby, and my bride doll. The Christmas dinner was always so delicious. She made the best turkey and dressing and always had me come and taste it to see if it "tasted right". How would I have known? I was just a little girl! After several years of tasting the dressing, then I got really good at telling her what it needed. UMMMMM.....I can almost taste it now. After Christmas dinner with all the aunts, uncles, and cousins, the adults usually took naps, or went outside and lounged in the front yard while the kids played. We weren't in the house playing video games, since they didn't even exist, but I have a feeling that even if they had, we would have been "shooed" outside to play. The wonderful thing about it was we didn't have to play by ourselves for long. The adults would come out and we would "jump rope", play "catch", or "flying dutchman". Then when the adults were too tired to keep playing the kids would play "ditch"!
It was so much fun being with all my cousins. After it got dark and we were called inside there was always the time around the piano! Mother "tickled the ivory" as Grandpa would say, and we had to sing by "note" out of the songbooks! Everyone had their "part" they HAD to sing. If you didn't Grandpa would stop the song and correct you so that the song would be sung RIGHT! WOW! It was beautiful and fun!
I want so much for my grandkids to grow up enjoying their Christmases with Mimi and Papa like I did when I was a "child". I cannot allow sorrow to rule my life, lest I forget to have FUN with MY grandchildren, like Grandma and Grandpa showed us. They had a son die at 17, and a baby daughter die when she was around 6 months, yet they always showed me the JOY of LIVING! Thank you Grandma and Grandpa Pound for the great legacy of LOVE, JOY, PEACE and FUN! I will meet you, Keith, Mother, Daddy and all our loved ones who have gone before us "in the morning" around the THRONE!
Here is a reminder to all of us who remain here on earth: Talk, laugh, sing, play, and enjoy THIS Christmas with family and friends.
MERRY CHRISTMAS, EVERYONE!
7 comments:
Yesterday I found in my bible a letter that you had sent to me about something I talked about in our Thanksgiving service in 2004. I have no idea if you remember it or not, but I can't help but think that I feel similar to the way you might have in 2004. I don't know if I want Christmas to happen or if I just want to skip over it all. Under my parent's tree are gifts that my father purchased for us before he died so long ago in March. I think I am in your 2004. Thank you for your blog. It makes me smile to think about what a great time you will have this year. It gives me hope about Christmas yet to come. I love ya'll... have a very Merry Christmas!
Sis Elms and Bro. Joseph - you both are so very incredible. I am blessed to know you both and to enjoy such wonderful words about "real life". Thanks for sharing so much with me.
Joseph, I do remember writing the letter. Life does a reversal on us sometimes and I know exactly how you feel this Christmas. Shed the tears for there is nothing wrong with it, and you will find strength in your Dad's love and memory. You will be strong because you are WHO you are, your father's SON! He was a GREAT man and he is with you in your heart and memories. How wonderful that he had bought gifts for you before he went to his reward! Find peace in his love, for that is what he would want. Have a Merry Christmas! We all love you and your family!!!
Sis Tammy, thank you for your kind words. God is the reason we have made it this far. It's wonderful how He will take "sorrow and turn it to JOY". I don't know how He does it, but there comes that time you can laugh again and really feel it! Have a MERRY Christmas! Love you!
Sister Elms- I remember after my mother died in 2001 thinking that Christmas would never be the same again. Alas, with the birth of another daughter, the addition of many new friends, and assuming the pastorate of our great church, God has more than restored my joy! Have a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
Wow, I am so happy for you. And how I cried when I read Joseph's post. We sure don't know how it will go this year, but we are trying. Bless you and Merry Christmas.
Ronda, thank you for your memories about Grandma and Grandpa! We had fun didn't we? I wish you were here with us for Christmas, but I know you will have a good time with your family! I love you! MERRY CHRISTMAS!
Bro. Ryan, isn't it great how God restores our JOY? Thank you for writing. It's wonderful gaining new friends! Have a MERRY CHRISTMAS this year.
Sis. Barbara, our hearts and love are with you and the family! I do not know how YOU feel, because I've never been in YOUR shoes, but I know how Joseph and the other boys feel. It will be so different with Bro. Joe, but I know you all will make the best of it! You still amaze me. I love you bunches and MERRY CHRISTMAS to you!
Post a Comment