As I sit in my home this morning my mind races over the last few weeks! Really, I need to look at the calendar to see where I've been, what I've done, and remember all the people I've seen. Life has been flying by so quickly that it seems a blur.
We arrived home last night from a wonderful Thanksgiving and Layne Family Reunion in Wichita Falls. We got to spend several days together. We had not been together with most of the family since Daddy passed away in 2004, so it was wonderful getting to spend time with each other. To say we had a nice time doesn't begin to tell you how awesome it was to be with my family! All the different personalities complimented each other and we played together, cried some tears, and laughed a lot.
Family...there are no words to adequately describe a family. I looked it up in the dictionary and Mr. Webster's description of a family is cold, and without feeling. His definition is: a basic social unit consisting of parents and their children considered as a group whether dwelling together or not...the traditional family. Oh, I know the dictionary gives the basic information on words and their meanings, but when I think of a family I think of love, respect, care, and protection. I could talk a lot about "the family unit", but it would take days to express my deep, inner feelings about family and what it means to me.
Thanksgiving 2011 will be etched in my memory forever! As we gathered for our Thanksgiving meal, it was a very touching time. I was busy snapping pictures as my husband prayed over our Thanksgiving Meal, because some events must be captured on "film". I listened to the very familiar voice of the man I've loved since I was twelve years old and I heard the emotions in his voice as he offered thanks. I looked across the table and saw tears on the face of my sister. We all had been through some life changing times this year, so for some there were tears of sorrow, for others tears of joy, but for ALL a prayer of "thanks". Each family had experienced life's "ebb and flow" and we had come through 2011 with thankful hearts. God had certainly been good to the Elms/Hurst/Holley families this year!
One of my favorite times of our holiday was the night Ronda went to the piano. It wasn't planned. There were some playing games, some reading, a few crocheting, children playing in the floor, others on their computers or iPads/iPhones, but everyone enjoying being together. As the piano played familiar songs I heard someone start singing. Then, someone else joined, then another, and another until we had a full choir from the eldest to the children. The blending of family voices was beautiful! Not only was it beautiful, but the presence of God flooded into our hearts as we sang for over an hour. It seemed there was no stopping place! I'm glad we caught some of this on video. As I watched and listened to the video my ears picked up on a beautiful sound. We were singing, "I've got a mansion just over the hilltop, in that bright land where we'll never grow old. And someday yonder we will never more wander. But, walk on streets that are purest gold.". Breaking through the "adult voices" I heard a child's voice...I've got a mansion just over the hilltop. In that bright land where we'll never grow old..." It was pure beauty! I watched our two oldest granddaughters as they sang the "old songs" and saw the passing down of Apostolic heritage! My heart was made glad as I saw the past and the future joined together! From generation to generation...
It was a pleasure of mine to sing with Gene and Karla again. During our family time of singing I looked at Karla and had her start singing..."If the son never shines again, I still believe..." It was hard for her to get through the first verse as she was overwhelmed by life and the losses our family had experienced, but she quickly gained strength and her voice grew stronger as we got to the chorus..."The sea could swallow up the mountains. Kingdoms could crumble to the ground. Rivers could turn to babbling brooks and the whole world cease to go around. Heaven and earth could pass away. Man could cease to be. But, God will always remain the same...I still believe!" We all felt the depth of the words to this song, and knew that we had once again been touched by the hand of the Creator of which we sang. Through the words of this song we once again knew that God held us in His arms as our loved ones were taken from us, and we could "still believe".
One night was just "family fun"! It was WONDERFUL! All the adults, young adults, teens, and children...together...singing silly sings, acting them out, and being one big crazy, happy, family! Someone started out..."Father Abraham had many sons..." You guessed it...as the song went on I watched as almost every person in the room was doing all the motions! It was hilarious and awesome! I have video of it, but would not dare share it with the world lest I get thrown out of the family! Ha-ha! Memories were made that will be forever in the minds and hearts of the children and adults! I loved listening to the laughter! The giggles of little girls were priceless as Uncle Nathan told the story of the "big mouth frog"! Then, I heard the screeching giggles, and their voices as they said, "Get Papa", and the hearty laughter from Papa Elms as two of our granddaughters attacked him trying to pull him off the couch! It was great! He was laughing uncontrollably! Aww...I smile as I remember and my heart overflows with happiness and thanksgiving!
We are coming to the end of the Year 2011. Time has flown by this year, and we are heading into 2012. At times I wonder what the New Year will bring, but I don't have to wonder who will be in charge of it. I know that Jesus will be guiding our lives this year, just as He has all the other years, so I am looking forward to the beginning of the rest of our life. Who knows...at the "dawning of 2012" we could be singing around the throne! We won't have to sing about our "mansion just over the hilltop" anymore for we will already be there!
4 comments:
Precious memories. Precious. Precious family. Precious Jesus. Precious friends. Thank you for sharing this beautiful piece.
Love.
Sis. Buxton, THANK YOU for reading and commenting! You know how Precious family time is, and I trust you are doing well. Love you!
I LOVE this story! It made me feel like I was there with ya'll!!!
Absolutely amazing week. I have no words.
Post a Comment