Sunday, September 19, 2010

Teach 'Em, Train 'Em, Let 'Em Go...

My husband received a call yesterday inviting him to preach at the Texas Bible College service today. He accepted the invitation and I'm glad he did. We love young people and want to see them succeed in ministry. Our children, teenagers, and young adults are our greatest asset in the Kingdom of God. As life marches on, each generation comes on the scene and is used by God. Each one does what they were called to do, then the next generation steps in and takes the leadership. It is a beautiful "cycle of life"!

I love being around young people. They have ideas and dreams that have yet to be fulfilled, and the passion and call of God on their life pushes them to learn and develop. When I see young ladies that are learning to play, sing, teach and become leaders, I see myself so long ago. They want to be used by God...just as I wanted to be used by Him. They want to flow in the spirit...as I wanted to. But, one thing I see different in the way they are, and the way I was when I was their age is...they don't SEEM to be as fearful when asked to be up in front of a crowd. I stand in amazement when I see young ladies step to the platform with confidence, and I love watching as God takes their talents and uses them for His glory!

I really want to be an encourager to the next generation! I know they have things to learn, but so did we when we were young. I really think its good for us "seasoned" adults to remember that someone gave US a chance! I think back to the pastors that had us come and minister to their churches when we were young, and wonder how they did it. :-) I remember going to the piano after my husband's message. I was so scared that I wouldn't do it "just right", then after church the pastor's wife would compliment me and tell me what a great job I had done. I was thinking the whole time..."If you only knew the torture I go through to be up there"! But, as I look back, I'm sure she knew how I was feeling. She also knew how to encourage a young preacher's wife! I made plenty mistakes, but I had people in my life that would smile and say it was okay. I am thankful for those that sometimes "put up with my fumbling around". I'm so glad they didn't give up on that "young, scared preacher's wife".

Isn't "teaching, training and letting go" what life's all about? An elder becoming jealous of one they have trained does not make a lot of sense to me. Aren't we suppose to allow our "young" to come on the scene with their burden and dreams, then stand back and watch them as they are successful in their leading? This is the time of life I have been working towards. It's a beautiful time! I can either "wish for the good old days" or enjoy "today"! Today, I can relax knowing we have, and still are doing our part in training and leading the next generation into truth and righteousness. We can feel confident that we are giving them tools to lead the generations following THEM. My husband has said through the years that he wants "the younger ones to come along and stand on our shoulders so they can take the work to a higher level". I love his philosophy!

Yes, we are still running beside them in the "race", and do not plan on stopping for awhile longer, but we're also at a time in life that we can enjoy the fruit of our labor! It thrills me to watch and listen to those we have mentored through the years as they use their talents and calling from God! I love to hear them preach and sing. I love to hear them pray the prayer of faith. I love for them to lay THEIR hand on MY head and ask God to take care of my need. I love just standing around after church listening to young men and women as they teach me something I did not know, and they don't even realize they are helping me to understand THEM.

I feel that a good and healthy attitude to have, is to enjoy the "cycle of life" as it rolls along, allowing the young, strong and passionate to take the lead. If we have done our best at teaching, leading, and training, then we can know without a doubt that the Truth we have taught through the years will be preached without fear or favor!

In my heart I hear music playing. Wait! What is that song? Oh! That's it...

"Glory, glory hallelujah...His truth is marching on"!



4 comments:

Donna said...

Enjoyed "Teach 'Em. Train 'Em, and Let 'Em Go..." I often find myself thinking. God gave them to us, they really weren't our's in the first place. We have to give them back and place them in God's Hands!
For we have 'Taught 'Em, Trained 'Em, now give 'Em back...

Linda Elms said...

Thank you, Donna! It sure makes it easier to let 'em go when you know He's got them in His hands!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing the link, but unfortunately it seems to be offline... Does anybody have a mirror or another source? Please answer to my post if you do!

I would appreciate if a staff member here at www.ljoyetree.blogspot.com could post it.

Thanks,
Peter

Linda Elms said...

Peter, I'm sorry. When I click on the link it comes up fine. I don't know what to do.