Today is my Daddy's birthday. If he was still with us here on earth he would be 80 years old! I really miss Daddy and his wisdom. He was a man of true love, true character and true wisdom.I would like to sit down and talk to him about all the events that have taken place over the last few years in just "my families" life. He would be so proud of Wendell and all he is doing. His heart would swell with pride over his grandsons and the churches they pastor. I can hear him giving Jonathan and Andrew advice and then telling them they're "doing a great job". Then, he would say, "You're just a chip off the ole block". Of course, meaning himself! :) I can hear him telling me he loves me and then turning around and saying something about my husband, whom he loved very much. Yes, I miss his deep booming voice, and the "whisker hugs" he would give me just when his face needed to be shaved!!!
But, I can say without hesitation, one of the things I miss the most is hearing him talk about Heaven! Daddy LOVED to sit and talk, but when it came to his favorite subject Heaven, he could talk for hours about what he thought it would be like. The walls of jasper, gates of pearl, Jesus on the throne, worship and praise, and heavenly music all around. He loved quoting Revelations 21, and I loved hearing him quote it, and it seemed as if all of heaven came down! I wish he was here today so that he could experience all the benefits of his dedication and love for truth. But, since he is not here...I have NO DOUBT that he is HAPPY where he is in HEAVEN...(happy home above).
So, on this day, his 80th birthday let me say once again...
"Daddy, it won't be long till we will see you again. We know where you will be when we enter the gates of that city you preached about all my life. We know where you'll be waiting for us, and as soon as we can make our way through the streets of that city, we will meet you "in front of the throne". I can't give you a gift that is bought with money, but I can and will give you the gift of "meeting you again in front of the throne". When we get there we will have one BIG PARTY and it won't even matter what age you're suppose to be, for we will live on forever with a brand new body that will never grow old!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DADDY! We will all see you again soon!
6 comments:
What a beautiful post. Happy Birthday, Bro. Layne! My first pastor, the man of God who baptized me and my 3 siblings. He was a great man.
That picture is the Layne family I remember! It couldn't have been taken too many years before y'all left Fresno.
Oh, Linda! I can still hear him quoting the poem of the auctioned violin, and I can still hear him reading the verses about Heaven when the choir sang "Twelve Gates to the City". I miss him, too and I will be at the party "in front of the Throne!" Love you....
Kathy, thank you for writing. It's so special to hear from those who knew him a long time ago! Karla (the baby) was 5 years old when Daddy and Mother left Fresno. Thank you for your memories.
Gayla, I loved to hear Daddy quote that poem! I have the same memories as you do. Of course, I guess I would since we were such close friends as little girls till now! The choir singing "Twelve Gates" was one of my favorite songs, and hearing Daddy read those scriptures still rings in my ears!!! Oh, how I want to make it "home" someday. Thank you for writing. Yes...we will "meet in front of the throne". Love you!
Linda, this is a beautiful tribute to your wonderful father. What a day...glorious day...is sure to come soon; that day when we all will gather home and be reunited with our friends and family and with Jesus.
I loved your parents...and I love you.
Some people just get in your heart and stay there. The Layne family is one, and Bro. Layne was so special for he was a pastor who loved his saints and was always there for them.
Post a Comment