But, God, who is rich in mercy,
for his great love wherewith he loved us,
even when we were dead in sins,
hath quickened us together with Christ,
And hath raised us up together,
and
made us sit together
in heavenly places in Christ Jesus…
(Ephesians 2:4-6)
A few months ago I had an experience that I want to share with you. One night while reading my “Family Page” on Facebook I saw a status update from my sister, Karla.
“HELP FOR A FUNERAL!!! Please! Does anyone know this song?" (she quoted the words). Then said: "I need to HEAR it and need to know how to play it. Any help will be greatly appreciated!!!!!!”
Being the "sweet older sister" that I am... :-)...I immediately went into action. I knew part of the song. It was way back in my memory someplace! I picked up the phone and called Karla. When she answered, I started singing what I could remember. She wasn’t where she could write it down, so she called me back within a few minutes. While sitting at the piano, finding the chords, and singing it very slowly to her (no telling what it sounded like). Then, my PHONE rang! It was11:27 PM! Who would be calling so late? This concerned me a little. When I answered, my friend Donna said, "Linda…have you found that song yet?" I laughed, then answered, "No…I’ve got part of it, but I can’t remember it all." Then she said, "It goes like this..."
Donna sang it and told me the chords all at the same time! Donna was calling from her hotel room in a totally different state than Texas, where she was getting ready to speak at a conference! I couldn't believe she was taking the time to call about a song! Now, that is a true friend! I called Karla immediately. We changed the key to the one Donna was singing in and Karla was satisfied “enough” to be able to “figure it out from there”.
Here are some other facts to this
story:
Gene,
Karla's husband searched the internet (found
some words), but no music. If Gene couldn't find it, I was pretty sure
nobody would. But, I went to the internet anyway. I was thinking,
"Maybe, just maybe I would run across something. After all, at least I
KNEW the song." So, my search began. I searched: Youtube, iTunes, the
Imperials, Murrell Ewing, Joan Ewing. Nothing! I know there's probably
someone out there right now that will go to the internet and find the
song, or at least "try" to find it. If you do, please let us know where
it was. :-)
I went back to Facebook and realized our friends were trying to find it! Here is the comments/conversation that was happening:
"I think I can get this to you tomorrow. Give me your email address and I will email you a recording (at least as well as I remember it), maybe it will help. J"
Karla: "That would be awesome!!! Thank you! If anyone has a chord chart or something – please…" I could hear the desperation in her "tone of voice". I figured with her "desperation" SOMEONE would come up with the chord chart, so I asked her to share the chord chart when she got it.
Karla: "I will definitely share! With all the collaboration we should get it figured out real good. Appreciate the help!"
Another friend wrote: "Wow…have not heard that song in a long time." I starting thinking, "Well, if they haven't heard it in a long time, at least they might be able to wrack their brain to pull some chords together. But, nothing came after that!
Then, Gayla came on and said, “I want it too please.” It was her brother that had passed away and had sung this song, and Karla was needing to play it for his service.
A minister of music and a lady that knows a lot of older songs asked: "Who sang this?"
Me:
"I heard Bro. Murrell Ewing did. I thought I had heard the Imperials
sing it. I don’t know. I’ve searched and can’t find it."
Help kept coming in:
"I will have to ask my mom. I remember her singing it at revivals. Many years ago." I thought, Yay! Maybe we're getting somewhere! I was starting to get excited!
"Here is a site with all the Imperials records." WOW! Maybe it's there...so I went and listened to a lot of old songs, on old albums. Nothing...
"I will have to ask my mom. I remember her singing it at revivals. Many years ago." I thought, Yay! Maybe we're getting somewhere! I was starting to get excited!
"Here is a site with all the Imperials records." WOW! Maybe it's there...so I went and listened to a lot of old songs, on old albums. Nothing...
"I’ve sung this for years and believe
Sis. Joan Ewing wrote the song.
The rest of it is…" We got some more words. Closer...closer...closer.
"I would like a copy of the chord chart, too. I have it written out but I’m not positive it’s correct since I’m going from “old memories".
I think my heart skipped a beat! Someone finally has something written out! I had to help my sister! I could hardly wait to get her the words and chords. I know, I could have dropped it, but she was needing the words and music NOW! The service was coming up and she couldn't let her friend down. I understood her feeling.
Then, my friend, Kay came to the rescue. "It’s written by Joan Ewing and sung by Bro. Ewing." At least now we knew who wrote it, and who sang it! Surely, we will be able to find it. We could call Sis. Joan Ewing if we had to!
Here’s the CLINCHER!
Pam, a music minister wrote, "Would you believe this is on page 329 in the "Sing Unto the Lord" songbook?" Her words were music to our ears!
"I would like a copy of the chord chart, too. I have it written out but I’m not positive it’s correct since I’m going from “old memories".
I think my heart skipped a beat! Someone finally has something written out! I had to help my sister! I could hardly wait to get her the words and chords. I know, I could have dropped it, but she was needing the words and music NOW! The service was coming up and she couldn't let her friend down. I understood her feeling.
Then, my friend, Kay came to the rescue. "It’s written by Joan Ewing and sung by Bro. Ewing." At least now we knew who wrote it, and who sang it! Surely, we will be able to find it. We could call Sis. Joan Ewing if we had to!
Here’s the CLINCHER!
Pam, a music minister wrote, "Would you believe this is on page 329 in the "Sing Unto the Lord" songbook?" Her words were music to our ears!
My response was, "YOU’RE RIGHT! I had forgotten that it was there!"
I knew I had that wonderful songbook sitting in my home someplace, so I
went on a search. When I found it I went straight to page 329! Right
there in front of me were the words AND the music!
I know...you're shouting at me, "WHAT DOES THAT HAVE TO DO WITH "SITTING IN HEAVENLY PLACES?”Since we are all human, we sometimes tend to forget how wonderful it is to be part of a glorious church! Every Sunday, every mid-week service, every rally, camp meeting, or conference we go to, we are privileged to "sit in Heavenly places", because we feel the presence of Almighty God! Then, something happens! Life crashes in on us and we get side-tracked. Not realizing what is happening, we don't spend time with the Lord in our home. As life would have it, and satan, we start missing church. Oh, we have our "reasons" we've concocted, but during this process, the "heavenly place" grows dim. It doesn't take long for us to forget what the Lord has done for us. It takes just a few times not going to church, or a few times listening to that disgruntled friend, and we forget. It only takes letting the cares of life overtake us, and those times spent in the presence of God are forgotten. Then, satan starts talking and telling you that “The grass is greener on the other side of the fence" and you feel the pull of the flesh to go enjoy the things of the world. You better be careful! As my husband says, "The grass you're seeing may be greener, but there might be a septic tank on the other side of the fence!" When we get into a carnal mind it's easy for us to be blinded from the bright lights of this world! "Greener grass" will lure you into a cesspool of sin, and you'll be drawn into the bright lights that your carnal nature tends to love. Once you have gone that far, it's easy to forget the "heavenly place" you had RIGHT UNDER YOUR NOSE!
I love being in the presence of the Lord! I love hearing songs that lift my spirit to His. I love hearing words of encouragement from the family of God, and hearing anointed preaching that gets into the inner most parts of my heart! I love it when I sense God is in the sanctuary, because I know I'm safe from the enemy of my soul! I LOVE being with the saints of God! Each time we're together and we worship in spirit and truth we "sit in a heavenly place”.
I'm really glad Karla needed that beautiful song a few months ago. And, I'm glad we found the song. But, more than her being able to play and sing this song for her friend I'm glad I had a spiritual realization come to me, once again, that those things I treasure the most are right here "under my nose". I don't have to search the world over to find the contentment that I have found my whole life by "sitting in heavenly places".
Whatever I think Christ to be.
That's just what He'll be to me;
If I know Him as a Friend above others,
then in my Lord I've found a brother...
I was so happy, yet totally floored at what all we had gone through to find this song when all I needed to do was search in my own house. I had played out of that songbook thousands of times! Why didn't I remember?I know...you're shouting at me, "WHAT DOES THAT HAVE TO DO WITH "SITTING IN HEAVENLY PLACES?”Since we are all human, we sometimes tend to forget how wonderful it is to be part of a glorious church! Every Sunday, every mid-week service, every rally, camp meeting, or conference we go to, we are privileged to "sit in Heavenly places", because we feel the presence of Almighty God! Then, something happens! Life crashes in on us and we get side-tracked. Not realizing what is happening, we don't spend time with the Lord in our home. As life would have it, and satan, we start missing church. Oh, we have our "reasons" we've concocted, but during this process, the "heavenly place" grows dim. It doesn't take long for us to forget what the Lord has done for us. It takes just a few times not going to church, or a few times listening to that disgruntled friend, and we forget. It only takes letting the cares of life overtake us, and those times spent in the presence of God are forgotten. Then, satan starts talking and telling you that “The grass is greener on the other side of the fence" and you feel the pull of the flesh to go enjoy the things of the world. You better be careful! As my husband says, "The grass you're seeing may be greener, but there might be a septic tank on the other side of the fence!" When we get into a carnal mind it's easy for us to be blinded from the bright lights of this world! "Greener grass" will lure you into a cesspool of sin, and you'll be drawn into the bright lights that your carnal nature tends to love. Once you have gone that far, it's easy to forget the "heavenly place" you had RIGHT UNDER YOUR NOSE!
I love being in the presence of the Lord! I love hearing songs that lift my spirit to His. I love hearing words of encouragement from the family of God, and hearing anointed preaching that gets into the inner most parts of my heart! I love it when I sense God is in the sanctuary, because I know I'm safe from the enemy of my soul! I LOVE being with the saints of God! Each time we're together and we worship in spirit and truth we "sit in a heavenly place”.
I'm really glad Karla needed that beautiful song a few months ago. And, I'm glad we found the song. But, more than her being able to play and sing this song for her friend I'm glad I had a spiritual realization come to me, once again, that those things I treasure the most are right here "under my nose". I don't have to search the world over to find the contentment that I have found my whole life by "sitting in heavenly places".
3 comments:
Thank you, Sister Elms. This has ministered to my spirit this morning.
Charlotte Mangrum
Sis. Mangrum, thank you for taking the time to read my "ramblings". I'm glad you enjoyed reading. May you be blessed today as you "sit in a heavenly place." There's nothing more fulfilling in this life.
Thanks so much for the reminder Sis Elms! This is a wonderful post.
Post a Comment