Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Christmas Memories 2010

Today has been a quiet day in my house. It feels so empty! Empty of decorations, empty of laughing little girls, empty of banging pots and pans in the kitchen as our daughters work to keep it all picked up, empty of deep "men voices" discussing things of interest. Yes, my house has felt empty, but my heart is full of all the love and memories we have from this week of Christmas! There is nothing like having our children and grandchildren home for the holidays!

It has been FOUR YEARS since "the kids have come home for Christmas". The last Christmas we had in our home was in Wichita Falls! Since we share with the girls families every other year, the last Christmas the kids were suppose to be with us, we were living in our motorhome, so WE went to the kids house (Jonathan and Brenda's) and had our "family Christmas" there. We had a great time! But, this year I was REALLY ready to have Christmas in our home! If you could have seen inside my heart you would have been able to see a little girl jumping up and down with excitement! I could hardly wait to hear the door bell ring and to open it to excited, happy, smiling little girls and feel their arms around my neck! I couldn't wait to hug my grown sons and their sweet wives (our daughters) and to hear...."Hello Mom!" Yes! I was excited and standing beside me was my husband who was like a little boy. I could almost see him shifting from side to side, not able to stand still because he was just as excited as I was!

We had a wonderful time in our "new smaller home" this year. I was concerned that it might be too small, but everyone got moved in to "their" room, and was happy. As the week went on I told Wendell that I kind of liked having a smaller house, because everyone had to be in the same area of the house...most of the time! I love being "together"! I am sharing with you some of our pictures from this past week. My heart is full and running over with thankfulness for another year of blessings and happiness!

Wendell read "The Christmas Story"
My Mother's Bible
The granddaughters listened intently
Ashlyn placed Jesus in the Manger
Here is one happy, spoiled, loved Papa
And...a HAPPY Mimi and PapaWhere's Santa???? Here he is!
Opening gifts began







God BLESSED us with FOUR granddaughters after us having TWO sons! Now, the doctor says the baby that's on its way is another GIRL! FUN! FUN! FUN!

Several years ago we decided to give the parents of these awesome little girls, money. But, I cannot write a check, put it in a card and hand it to them at Christmastime! For me, part of Christmas fun is opening gifts, so I try to figure out a way to give the adults their "money gift" so they have several packages to open.

Andrew is giving me that "look" like, "Mom, what are you up to now? I can't hardly wait to open it!" LOL! I have to admit that I have a lot of fun shopping for these "little gifts". In fact, I was standing in the aisle of one store trying to figure out what to do when one of the ideas came to me and I started laughing just thinking about the reaction. I had spotted what I call a "Shower Foo-Foo" and decided right then and there that I would get a bunch of $1.00 bills and fold them up real small and stick them in the "foo-foo ball". So, I did! I took 50 of those little bills and made a "money ball". I think I have more fun than they do figuring it all out! Although, I'm SURE they enjoy the money. I always seem to come up with different ideas from year to year. I'm hoping I don't run out of ideas very soon! There were more "money gifts" to follow on this night, but it would take too long to tell you all about it.

I think Jonathan got his gift opened first.
"Great idea, Mom!"

Jonathan counting his money...making sure it was all there.
Andrew got all of his...
Mandy seeing what she got. By the smile I see, I know I've done well. :)

Brenda's happy!
I love gifts!
"Santa" even gets to open a gift...or two.

The "traditional ending" of a great night!Evening Christmas Dinner. Totally relaxed and thankful...
Another year has swiftly passed, and God has been FAITHFUL once again! Thank you, Lord! And, thank you our wonderful family for such an awesome time this year!

5 comments:

Karla said...

Looks like tons of fun! I always loved seeing your "money" gifts. Glad you're keeping that tradition going.

Linda Elms said...

Karla, I missed you and the family coming over!!!! Love you!

louise boydston said...

i loved your page it was so great a beautiful family and precious so nice of you to share it !!!

Keith and Carla said...

Thank you for sharing your Christmas! Love the picture of the girls with the wrapping paper... Love you!!!

iluv2prshim said...

Love family traditions! Since we didn't have any little ones to play in the wrapping paper we did ourselves. I don't remember who threw the first balled up wad of paper but nevertheless, it got started and was hilarious. Love and miss you all. Glad you had everyone at your home for Christmas.