Thursday, March 22, 2007

Remember These?

"Had a little rooster fed him on peas. He got so fat that he couldn't see his knees!" (Daddy use to say this when I was a little girl.)

"There was a wise old king, who had 10,000 men. He marched them up the hill and then he marched them down again. When you're up, you're up! When you're down, you're down! When you're only half way up you're neither up or down!" (Grandpa led this song in the "switch over" from Sunday School to Morning Worship and yes, we had to do the motions!)

I just had to write and see if anyone knew these. LOL! It takes the stress off to remember silly things you said, sung, or did when you were young! Maybe we need to go back to just being a little "silly" at times? It would make life a whole lot more fun! There's nothing like a good hearty laugh. It cleans out the cobwebs of your mind.

15 comments:

Keith and Carla said...

I've never heard of the first one, but grew up in Sunday School singing the second one. It's funny you bring this up. Keith and I had to go get some light fixtures and paint for the expansion yesterday, and the girls were in the backseat making up goofy songs & rhymes and just giggling away. Their goofiness just kind of brightened up the day!

Michelle said...

Abigail sings the second song in her music class! She sits on my lap and we go up and down!

Patti said...

I remember singing the second one when I was a little girl. We would start out slow, and gradually sing it faster,and faster
just to see how fast we could sing it.

Anonymous said...

i only sang it whe i heard it from bro and sis Goober.....lol i love when they come to visit

Jessica

Don Ryan said...

Never heard the first one but the second one was a staple when I was a Sunday School kid. We taught that song to a whole new group of kids at our Sunday School camps this summer. It was great fun.

Madison S. said...

Oh the memories i do suprisingly know remember the first one being sung by my nanny. It is amazing what gets handed down form generation to generation. My kids have a whole CD of "road Music" that pappy shahan put together for them. Which includes their all time favorite " Dead Skunk in the Middle of the Road" That Todd and Curtis made up as kids. Pappy has started the new generation of car silly bugs. They have made up soooo many verses we can't keep up. Just go by mason and say what is that smell and he starts singing :) I love the goofiness

Lynn said...

Never thought I came out of silly!?!

Friggy said...

I know the second one! My mom sang it to me all the time when I was little!

Gene Holley said...

I have never heard the first one! It must be REALLY old! LOL. Great fun.

jay5in said...

Bro Scoggins used to sing the second one at youth camp and have all the kids do the motions. Only thing was he didnt sing about king's men...

Jana Allard said...

I am clueless. Guess our house was on a different page 'cause I know I'm not that young. LOL

Joseph James said...

Sis Elms always knows the REALLY OLD songs! lol

Linda Elms said...

I love everyone's responses! Isn't it fun to "remember"? Poor Jana! You just do not know what you've been missing all these years. LOL! I have a whole list of Sunday School choruses I learned when I was a child and sometimes like to look at them and remember the "good ol' days"! That does sound like I'm GETTING old! LOL! Oh well....that's life, I guess. But, remember....you're only as old as you think you are! Love you all!

Anonymous said...

Don't know the songs but I like old sayings. One of my favorites that dear ol' dad says is "you're as handy as a pocket on a shirt."
(http://www.msjudyshouse.blogspot.com/ found you by clicking random. I'm in TX, too.)

Linda Elms said...

Anonymous, thank you for visiting my blog. I'm glad you enjoyed the sayings and song. It's always fun to remember. Come again soon.